Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Cherith

Default 3 year old twins not potty trained

Hi Everyone,

We will leaving in 2 weeks time for a 7 night Mexican cruise with 3 year old twin boy's aboard the Diamond Princess. But before leaving, there were a few questions I had. Can anyone help me out by answering these:

1. Is homogenized milk available on board?
2. Any tips on heating bottles during the night?
3.Our boy's are not yet fully potty trained, would we be able to change their diapers and leave them in the kids area for an hour while eating dinner? Are the counsellors pretty lenient with this?
4.Are we allowed to stay with our children in the kid's zone?
5. If anyone else has travelled on the Diamond Princess with kids, how are the play facilities?
6. About the baby sitting services that are available, does anyone know if it is in cabin only?

Best of luck to everyone on their future cruises!
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 3 year old twins not potty trained

I just became a grandmother and my DIL is nursing however she does bottle feed occasionally. They have a small bottle warmer that you fill with a little water and plug in and it warms bottles very quickly. I know they are not that expensive and are fairly small to pack. I think this would be very handy for you during the evening in your cabin. Sorry I can not answer any of your other questions. We have not cruised with children however we plan to take our grandson with us very soon.

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Yeoman

Please tell me you have a younger child, you may not like hearing this, but three year olds should not need a warm bottle , or any bottle at all. No wonder they are not toilet trained. They are not babies anymore.
And why do you need to stay with them in the playroom?Are you nervous or are they? You might make them nervous if they aren't ever left on their own with kids their age. The counserllors are very well trained( most have teaching certs for preschool) and most kids love the playtime.

I have three kids and by three they should not be on a bottle, period, ask you dentist about that if you think I am just being a meany. They should also be toilet trained with just " accidents" happening occaisonally and perhaps at night.
I assume they are unable to attend preschool as most require toilet training.

They will not be allowed in the kids programs unless trained, but frankly, just don't mention it, and only leave them an hour or two, and you should be able to get away with it.
Yes they have milk on board, I think it was 2% but that will be fine for a 3 yr old for a week( ask your doc) , milk is available at meal times and on the buffet in the morning they have the little cartons of it for cereal, pick up a few and put them in the fridge in your cabin( all cabins have fridges) for when ever you want them.
Bring a water bottle for them and fill with juice from breakfast buffet also, ( no cartons just glasses) as you will have to pay for juice otherwise( at bars etc.)
Have fun and wean those children( notice , children , not babies)
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Princess policy states that children must be potty trained to participate in the kids activities. Princess counselors will not change diapers.
Parents are not allowed in the kids center. Only to pick-up and drop-off the kids. Parents constantly checking in on their kids disrupts the flow of activities in the kids center.
If you kids have an "accident" while in the activities, unless they can tell the counselors what happened, you will have stinky kids and will be asked to leave the program, all of this is on the assumption that they let your twins in in the first place. They are fairly strict.
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Cherith

Default Re: Re: 3 year old twins not potty trained

pg posted:

Please tell me you have a younger child, you may not like hearing this, but three year olds should not need a warm bottle , or any bottle at all. No wonder they are not toilet trained. They are not babies anymore.
And why do you need to stay with them in the playroom?Are you nervous or are they? You might make them nervous if they aren't ever left on their own with kids their age. The counserllors are very well trained( most have teaching certs for preschool) and most kids love the playtime.

I have three kids and by three they should not be on a bottle, period, ask you dentist about that if you think I am just being a meany. They should also be toilet trained with just " accidents" happening occaisonally and perhaps at night.
I assume they are unable to attend preschool as most require toilet training.

They will not be allowed in the kids programs unless trained, but frankly, just don't mention it, and only leave them an hour or two, and you should be able to get away with it.
Yes they have milk on board, I think it was 2% but that will be fine for a 3 yr old for a week( ask your doc) , milk is available at meal times and on the buffet in the morning they have the little cartons of it for cereal, pick up a few and put them in the fridge in your cabin( all cabins have fridges) for when ever you want them.
Bring a water bottle for them and fill with juice from breakfast buffet also, ( no cartons just glasses) as you will have to pay for juice otherwise( at bars etc.)
Have fun and wean those children( notice , children , not babies)

pg,

You should not make assumptions on things when you don't have all the facts. FYI one of our twin boys was born with a rare skin syndrome and needs extra supervision. For what another child would just be a bump, means stitches for our son. So you ask if we are nervous about leaving him in the playroom by himseft, you better believe it. For his twin brother it is not an issue. Personally I don't see anything wrong with a bottle of warm milk before bed, you may disagree. Also it is completely normal for boys not to be fully potty trained till after 3, especially considering ours were born 3 months premature. pg, next time please leave your parenting advise to yourself or at least to someone who asks for it.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Stop making excuses for your children. 3 years old is too old to be drinking from a bottle. If they want milk----put it in a sippy cup or a plain cup and drink it and then send them off too bed. I can understand about the skin condition and the potty training should be just about completed but the bottle is a big NONO in anybody's book. It will ruin their teeth and also cause dental problems leading up too braces when they get older. Braces are not cheap--been there--done that.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:45 PM
KSLINKS

What makes you a professional when it comes to what other people think is a big NONO? I am assuming you are a pediatrician or in some other infant care profession!
My daughter, just turned 3 in August, is also on a bottle and will be for a few more months. She was born with a cleft pallat and has a hard time drinking from a regular cup, quite frankly I am not interested in pushing her to please anyone else. My daughters doc, my husband, also thinks this is best for her.
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Luisa

Hey, let's all stop picking on each other! I have always tried to make this message board a place where parents feel comfortable asking for advice of other parents who have successfully sailed the high seas with their kids. If we attack each other, parents will certainly not feel comfortable posting future messages and this message board will not be as helpful to others as it has been in the past. I hope we can once again continue to generate positive feedback on the family message board.

As to your questions, your children have to be potty trained to participate in the youth program. However, unlike some other cruise lines, PRincess allows those under three or those not potty trained to use their facilities for the 3 to 6 year old group w/parental supervision. Since the Diamond is a new ship, it should have plenty of Little Tykes style toys as did the Caribbean Princess, which we were recently on w/our two year old. He enjoyed going to the youth room w/us briefly each day and it worked out fine.
Alas, Princess does not have private babysitting services -- Royal Caribbean, HAL and Celebrity are the few which do. There is group babysitting which starts at 10 p.m. for an hourly fee but I always found this too late to drag my toddlers/pre-schoolers out to. They were long asleep before then.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:13 AM
pg

Cherith I am not making assummptions. I SAID "ask your dentist about the bottle". You won't because you know the answer. bottles for three year olds are wrong., it can destroy their teeth.There is not a dentist anywhere who would not tell you that.
As for the skin disease, my girlfriends son has one, any bump can cause terrible blisters, any sun, or heat , the same. He has a nurse that visits the school twice a week to " pop" blisters( they are not like normal ones, they continue to grow if not popped) She still does not treat him like a freak.
You are defensive, and that is fine, but you aren't doing your children any favours, and I stand by the bottle is a no no.
A for yyour children being born premature, that has nothing to do with it, my son was one month early( which I know is not the same as three) and by the time a premature child is three they have pretty well " caught up". It obviously scared you ( as it would have anyone) when your children were born early, and it must have been a difficult time to be always worrying about the boys health, but you have got to let go, and stop being a worrywart, your kids are fine, and growing up. let them.

Kslinks, Obviously a cleft palate is different, although you also did not mention a dentist being consulted.

Being phsyically difficult to use a cup is one thing, but it sounds like it is an emotional issue for some, it can be difficult to wean a child who is used to a bottle before ( or in) bed and some parents will take the easy route. I maintain that the easy route in parenting is not always the right one.
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM
ptime

how would you like to be the girls that matty these 2 boys
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Cherith, Sorry you did not get all your questions answered without opinions!(Wow! is all I can say...)
I doubt they will have whole milk on the cruise.(That's all the answers I can give you.)
Enjoy your cruise with your twin boys!! Have a great cruise!!
Take care. From Brenda in Vancouver

Old October 29th, 2004, 01:32 AM
LaurieB

The poor lady asked for friendly advice and support and she got totally lambasted- you should be ashamed of yourselves. (I assume you are all giving this nasty advice under the cloak of internet anonymity and don't offer your "opinions" so freely to those around you in your real life- I'd put money on some pretty lonely ladies if that were the case). I hope you had a great cruise, Cherith (not that you'll ever want to come back here to this board to read this message!)
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
elationismyship

Well said laurieB! pg . . .no one asked you to btchslap this women for allowing her children to drink from a bottle at age 3. And don't come back with the . . ."I'm sticking to my position". It's not about your position, right or wrong . . . its about giving someone advise on cruising not on their parental skills. However, if you feel the need to give parental advise, I suggest you go to motherbaby.com, etc. there are plenty of board out there full of parents questioning everything they do and their judgement on raising their kids - and your opinioniated bull$ship will come in great there - you could make tons of moms feel bad versus a few on the cruisemates cruise chat board.
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Big Craig

I have known women who have breast fed her 2 sons until they were 5, YES FIVE, my sister in law, now her oldest is in his 3rd year at U Of F, he is # 1 in his class and has been given numerous trips around the world to teach computer stuff, his younger brother is in High School, and a solid A honor roll student with offers of scholorships from every top ranking college, so is bottle feeding bad at 3? Nah he will probably be a genious not a ditch digging loser like many.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 12:25 PM
pg

Elationsmyship, Obvouisly your mother did a poor job with you since your langauge and rudness is terrible. Using abbreviations and $ signs doesn't alter your rudeness. We are all entitled to our opinion, and most of us can convey it without rude language and swearing. I did not use swearing or name calling. You did. How on earth do you think anyone is going to accept your opinion if you can't convey it without resorting to temper tantrums?

Big Craig, " ditch digging losers" ?? Aren't we judgemental. Any honest work is respectable, and labelling persons based on their job or education is very showing.

Hilarious how some posters will resort to labelling and name calling in order to attack other posters who they feel have been judgemental, yet they are doing the EXACT same thing! Too funny.
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Big Craig

Maybe a little harsh, but I was actually supporting her wishes to bottle feed until what ever age she felt was ok, ps-I dig ditches for a living since being 9-11 laid off from an airline.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM
pg

Big Craig, I can see your support was well intentioned, but I do not beleive there are the same benefits to bottle feeding ( nutrition, and bonding) that there are to 'breast feeding, and as I pointed out there are serveral valid reasons not to bottle feed that long( ie teeth and decay)
PS I breast fed 2 of 3 of my kids, so I beleive both ways are good ways to nuture/feed a child.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
BigK

pg, it amazes me how some people believe they are warranted to provide unsolicited negative comments that are highly personal under the guise of "knowing what is best". I hope you conduct yourself with more grace in actual life and don't choose to be the boor that you appear to be on this message board.
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:42 PM
pg

Big K perhaps you should read some of my other posts before you pass judgement on my conduct on this board based on this post on this particular subject.
Guess it is easy to jump in with judgements isn't it? You did.
Old November 24th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Reen

Play nice children!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
Passenger

I don't think she needed anybody to be so judgmental
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Cherith,

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Princess line, but it looks like Luisa has offered a lot of knowledge.

As far as the bottle/potty-training stuff, let me just support you in doing what you think is best. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why people become so incensed at stuff like this. It doesn't infringe on them, at all!

I have two children, one borne to me, the other adopted. My birthchild nursed until he was four years, nine months. He was not potty trained until he was three and a half, because I didn't see the need to press the issue until he indicated some interest, and appropriate developmental readiness. He is now 15, scored in the 95th percentile of *sophomores* (as a freshman) on two of the three sections of the PSAT, and was given an award by the high school just yesterday as one of the "MVP's" of his class -- students who should serve as role models for the other students for their scholastic achievement, citizenship, and work ethic. He seems to have turned out okay. :-)

My daughter was adopted at nearly four years of age. She had been potty trained at two, and we had *terrible* issues of anxiety around this. I really think she was done a disservice. Similarly, she wanted a bottle for a couple of years after she came. She had been weaned to a cup at a very young age, and still needed that oral comfort of the sucking. I gave it to her. I can well imagine what some of the people who have posted here would have commented about that! Fortunately, a few years of meeting *her* needs, as opposed to forcing that for which she wasn't prepared upon her, has made a big difference, and she, too, is doing very well--- got her report card yesterday, and she's made the dean's list this quarter, and everyone always comments on how hard-working and polite she is.

Don't let the others get you down. Look at your children. Are they healthy? Are they happy? Are they developmentally where they should be (given their individual issues)? Do they respond to structure and consequences? If the answer is yes to all of these, I'd say you are doing a great job.

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Old February 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Yeoman

My grand baby was interested in her potty chair at a year and a half and started useing it. When the pediatrician learned this she said "absolutely NOT is she to use her potty chair at such an early age." Thanks to this pediatrician she is now 3 yrs. old and refuses to use it. Why stop a good thing?

Carol
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
First Mate

Carol:
Quite frankly your granddaughter's pediatrician sounds like a moron. The poor kiddy probably has a problem now because she was discouraged earlier. There is NOTHING wrong with a child (in effect) self toilet training early. Early toilet training is only a problem when the child is "forced" too young. My 2nd youngest niece decide she was interested in the potty almost as soon as she could walk. She was allowed to pursue this interest (no pressure at all) and as a result was out of diapers (except for overnight) by the time she was 20 months.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Passenger

My guess is that the pediatrician has had too many parents who find that their child is interested early, but then becomes uninterested again in a few weeks or months, reverting back. This isn't unusual. The problem is that many of the parents of these children will say to themselves, "If she could do it then, she can do it now!" and force the issue.

I would say a better approach would have been, "Sure! Let her try it out now, because it is a game for her. But don't be surprised if she, in a few months, isn't interested and starts to have 'accidents' again. Don't worry. Don't force the issue. Put her back in diapers until later."

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Old February 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Carol - frankly that pediatrician is an idiot! Some children develop faster than others....as long as they follow the pattern there is no reason your grandchild should not have been encouraged to potty train at that time. Some kids are ready early and some are late......for example look at those who say their kids were walking at 9 months - well before most do, but then they just progress faster than others do.

Old February 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Beginner

I know this is too late for you as your cruise has come and gone. however, if anyone else is needing this same advice, consider bringing your own milk and having them store it. Horizons makes a shelf stable organic milk in individual serving sizes. You could store that in your room.

I think you already got the info you need on heating it. The easiest way is to plop the bottle into warm water. Tap water should be warm enough or you can ask room service for tea water.

Do not forget a small supply of dish soap for keeping the bottles clean. A sponge or a bottle brush may come in handy. You may want to bring the bottles with disposable liners to make clean up easier.

And as a side note, the world average weaning age is 4 years old. Americans just wean much earlier than most every country. If your children feel more comfortable with bottles while traveling feel free to give them a bottle. Of course it is a good idea to brush their teeth after to remove the milk before bed. Your children will wean before going to kindergarten!

Happy parenting,
Julie
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Yeoman

Julie ,the average weaning age for BREAST FED babies is four yrs old maybe,( many countries do not even have a bottle feeding option that is safe, affordable and assecible like we do in North America and Europe, but I'd love to see the link to any statistic that shows that it is for BOTTLE feeding.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Passenger

Default Cherith

Cherith I hope you enjoyed your trip with your precious twins. I know how traumatic it is to have children born as prematurely as yours were and how difficult it is to make the trip home from the hospital without your children. It's natural for a mom to be overprotective and possibly "baby" her kids after dealing with that. Most moms fortunately never know the heart ache or how much you missed out on when you were travelling back and forth between NICU's and home without you boys. Know that even though they may be developmentally delayed right now, often times with early intervention, they will catch up with children of the same chronological age.

I hope you were able to enjoy your trip and your boys! We're booked on a cruise for next winter and I'm hoping that the people who post on these boards aren't a adequate representation of what I'll meet. If so, it will be our last cruise.

For the rest of you PERFECT parents, get over yourselves and hope that your child never has any type of catastrophic injury or illness that would leave others judging you and your treatment of them. A child born prior to 32 weeks is not fully developed and delays occur. Cherith's children were born 3 months early. Generally children born at 28 weeks or less face serious complications. A 3 year old drinking from a bottle is a lot less of a problem than some of what this mom might be facing. Unless you're a Neonatologist you may want to refrain from your judgemental commentary.
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Reen

MC......Are you a Neonatologis?