Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:46 AM
ILuvCrusin

Default Help!!! 18 - 25 yr old cruisers needed

Have cruised a lot with my now 19 year old son. He's starting to get bored. No more activities specifically for his age group set up for him by the criuseline. Not interested in a lot of the adult activities. anyone else with this problem? would like to know what you are doing to help your young adults have fun too. the last cruise we invited one of his friends but I had to pay for everyone. Can't do that again. Any ideas for this age group?
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Help!!! 18 - 25 yr old cruisers needed

My 18 yr old had a great time doing the sports activities, playing basketball, volleyball, mini-golf, pool. He found some kids close to his own age and they hung-out together. They spent lots of time in the pool, went to comdey shows at night and spent plently of quality time in the video arcade. All of these activites were on the Golden Princess.
I think that it was very, very generous of you to pay for his friends cruise on your last cruise. That isn't and should not be expected of you. If you want to invite a friend for him to hang-out with, you need to make certain that he or his parents know that they are expected to pay for his cruise/air fare, any shore excursions and to give him some spending money. If someone invited my son to go on a cruise with a buddy, i would expect him to pay for some of it and that we would pay for the rest.
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

You also might want to check out the Voyager class ships on RCI. They seem to have more going on for the older teen cruisers.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Luisa

I agree. Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships have so many fun, physical activites to do on your own such as basketball courts, mini golf, in line skating tracks, ice skating rinks and rock climbing walls. Your older teen should be able to hook up w/others his/her age in those areas.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:20 AM
pg

Hey I've got an idea, leave your son at home and see if he finds that less boring!
Old September 10th, 2004, 05:18 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cruisechic2005 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisechic2005

Hey, i am having the exact same problem...

My first cruise i went on i was 16, but my next cruise on 3/5/05 on the Navigator of the Seas to the Western Caribbean i will be 18 and i have no clue what i'm going to do abuot hanging with people my own age... i'm worried i'll have problems finding those around my age... Help!

Anyone else sailing with me??
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Luisa

To CruiseChic:
Did you also post your message on the teen board? If not, why don't you to see if there are any others close to your age on that cruise.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 13th, 2004, 02:38 PM
ILuvCrusin

Hi Everyone:
Thanks for all the advice. We did go on the Adventrure in Jan, 05. that's the one we did with my son's best friend. unfortunately I developed a blood clot in my leg on that one and had to spend most of the cruise in hospital in Cancun. I insisted on the boys going it alone and they did fine.

LisaK:
the cruise for the freind was his college graduation present. He has done a lot for me and my son and I wanted to do something real special. It was all my idea to pay for him.

pg:
that's not the answer.

CruiseChic2005:
Your TA should have advised you to go during spring break and you wouldn't have had any problems. Since you're already booked though don't worry you'll find someone to hang out with. Just be careful.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:38 PM
ConcreteDreams

I am worried also. I will be 18 next summer when i go on Adventure of the seas 5/22/05 and Jewel of the seas 7/26/05. i cant hang out with the 17 and under, but i dont want to hang out with adults :/ bring your family on one of my cruises so i can hang out with him
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Dear ILuvCrusin - that was very generous of you to give the gift of a cruise as a graduation present. He must be one very special young man. I didn't mean to infere anything just that i have known (unfortunately) some people who seem to think that since you issued the invite its up to you to pay for everything.
Have you decided on which cruise yet?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Emm

I hate to say it , but your son is an adult and might have to start planning for his own fun. If he cant figure out something to do on his own, maybe he either :

A: has to be "bored " for a week to spend quality time with you
B: find a friend who can pay his own way
C: Try to find something to do on the ship on his own
D: not go

Let him decide, and if all you want to do is have a good time with him for a week, let him pick the place-- or shorten your trip. If its going to bother you if he's bored, then perhaps a cruise isnt a good thing.

I have 5 kids -- teens to mid twenties, and i've been there with all of them. I've made them go, given them a choice, and I've taken a couple trips without them. For some reason when they are close to being done with college they "want" to vacation with me again. I think it has something to do with the fact that they will be out on there own soon and won't be able to afford trips.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
ILuvCruisin

All of your ideas are helpful. thanks.

ConcreteDreams:
I wish we could vacation when you go 5/22/05 and 7/26/05, you have the right idea about going as a group. but don't worry you WILL find things to do. Just don't think you will find a lot of people your age on board. there may be and there may not be.

LisaK:
I know what you mean. Sometimes you just hate to even extend the invite.

We haven't made up our minds yet. Maybe sometime in January. My son and most of his friends are dancers and they will be in between performances or on break from school at that time.

Emm:
You're absolutely right but this post was to try to get some ideas for activities that I can pass on to the cruise lines. we don't sit and worry about whether he will be bored or not. We have never had a "bad" cruise. We know how to make the best of any situation while cruising.
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Emm

Default Re: Re: Help!!! 18 - 25 yr old cruisers needed

I think cruise lines in general miss the boat when it comes to planning youth activities post junior high age. They have the best facilities -- it gives the appearance that the cruiseline cares about the older kids, but in my experience a small percentage of the older teens actually participate.

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again -- when they allow kids to jump up age levels, it makes the kids those levels are aimed for view them as too babyish, and thus do not feel like participating. My kids have gone to the first teen get together, but when they arrive they see the 12-13 year olds. They do a turn around, and wander around the ship.

I dont know if there is a solution, kids seem to find each other and have a good time-- the only time organized activites are good depends on the turn out --
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Emm - i couldn't agree with you more. As i posted earlier my 17 now 18 yr old son thought that the organized activites were geared towards the younger teens and that they were totally lame. He enjoyed participating in the adult activites like the mini-golf tournament on the Golden Princess. He did however enjoy the access to the computer games, and the video arcade for the teens. As long as their were sports, a nice pool with lots of pretty girls to look at,and a hot tub my son was very happy.