Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Angella

Default Best Familyi cruise to Alaska

We are planning a cruise to Alaska for June 2005. Three couples with kids age 7, 9, and 12. There are so many options.... I have narrowed it down to Inside passage round trip to Seattle or Vancouver. I need help picking the ship. This is only our 2nd cruise, first with the kids. We are very conservative and want to avoid the "all night party" atmosphere.
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:11 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Best Familyi cruise to Alaska

Both Princess ships (Diamond and Sapphire) are very beautiful. They sail out of Seattle. I have also seen some of the RCCL ships out of Vancounver as well, and they look to be a lot of fun.

Post Edited (09-17-04 00:12)

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM
NanaKay

My family (group of 9 with 3 boys) are taking the inside passage cruise on Celebrity Mercury June 10, 2005.
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Passenger

I know you probably were thinking about Carnival when you posted about wanting to avoid the party-all-night crowd, but our family went to Alaska aboard the Carnival Spirit in July, and it was a VERY good trip. You just don't get many partiers going to Alaska, I guess! The kids loved the kids' activities, and my son (who went on RCCI to the Caribbean and didn't enjoy the kids' club at all) said this was the best vacation he'd ever been on. I don't think you should rule out the Spirit.

One thing you should be aware of is that Celebrity does not have an indoor pool that is open to kids. Their indoor pool is located in the spa, which is for adults only. In Alaska, this makes a difference.

Good luck to you!

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Old September 20th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Luisa

I agree w/the first post, that Princess and RCI would be your best bets for good kids' programs and good shore excursions. YOur kids are at a good age to explore Alaska -- make sure you read the article I wrote on the main family page entitled, "Alaska with Kids." It'll give you good ideas what to do on land w/them. It's a wonderful trip for kids.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:16 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Luisa, Princess or RCCL would be my top 2 choices. The big Grand Class ships of Princess have a retractable dome over the pool, that opens and closes according to the weather,great kids and teens programs,lots of sports activities, the Grand and the Golden both have video arcades, and the teen center has computer games.
The Voyager Class Ships of RCCL are a good pick also, again really good kids/teen programs, lots of sports(rock-climbing, in-line skating track) ice show, MardiGras parade.
Old September 28th, 2004, 07:49 AM
BMK

We are booked on the Diamond Princess for August 2005. We have two girls who will bw 11 and 6 at the time. We picked this ship because wanted round trip, plan to spend a couple of days in Seattle prior to sailing, the retractable dome on the pool so that the kids can swim, the kids program and the itinerary appealed to us seemed taht they were alot of active excursions for the family. good luck, maybe we will see you on board.
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Yeoman

Here's my vote for RCL. We did it last year, Seward to Vancouver on the Vision of the Seas. 5 year old and 10 year old were mind boggled. They loved it. loved the rock climbing and the kids program. Much more subdued than in the caribbean. Inside passage gives new meaning to the word cruising. it was wonderful.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Passenger

if the kids want to do any children's activities steer clear of hal-we went in 8/04 and the program was terribly limited with few things to do. we did the inside passage out of vancouver, but we spent a couple of days in seattle prior to spending a couple of days in vancouver (enjoyed both places, and it was actualy less expensive to fly into seattle then do seattle to vancouver vs a direct vancouver flight).
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Katluc

We sailed Alaska on the Carnival Spirit, with twin girls, age 11, husband, and my father. It was more of a family atmosphere and we all had a great time. Most of the day time is in ports, and the days go by really fast. My girls loved doing the panning for gold in Juno, and the lumber mill show in Ketchican... Have a great trip whatever you decied.