Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

Old October 19th, 2004, 01:35 PM
mindy frohlich

Default RC Radiance, St. Martin&St. Thomas 9yo,41yo, 65yo

Hi to my fellow lucky cruisers. On Nov 7, 2004, my mom, me and my 9 year old daughter are cruising on the Radiance. I am looking for Royal Caribbean excursions or other safe & fun things to do in St.Martin & St.Thomas. We like the ocean but not shopping. We want to snorkel from the SHORELINE at least once. Also, do you think there will be many other children on the ship at that time??? Can 9yo sign themselves out of the child's area without the parent's permission?? How do I find anoghter family with girls around my daughter's age to dine with so she won't be as bored during the 2 hour dinners? Thank you for responding. Mindy
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: RC Radiance, St. Martin&St. Thomas 9yo,41yo, 65yo

St. Thomas - plenty of options for snorkeling from shore. Coki Beach/Coral World would be a good choice. If you want to take the water taxi over to St. John Island you will find some amazing snorkeling at the beaches over there, all from shore. Trunk Bay is the most popular with its marked snorkel trail - but its very touristy and gets very crowded early. Lots of other great beaches to choose from. Back on St. Thomas you could Take the tram ride up to Paradise Point for an amazing view of the harbor. Since you don't like to shop, i would suggest that you go to the beach in the morning and then hire a cabbie for a couple of hours in the afternoon for a tour of the island.
St. Maarten, -i don't know about snorkeling from shore, we did an excursion over to a small island for our snorkeling. Orient Beach is the most popular of the beaches lots going on - however there is a section of beach that is clothing optional. Dawn Beach is also a great beach. Eventhough you aren't into shopping, take some time to just wander around downtown either on the Dutch or French sides of the island it doesn't matter.
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Luisa

Lisa had great suggestions above. You can also check out the article I wrote, "Back to the Beach" for ideas on beaches you can go to independently; also "Port Guide for kids" gives details on what to do w/kids in St. Maarten and Thomas. You can find them on the main page of the family section of CruiseMates.com.
There probably won't be tons of kids on that sailing since it's not any school vacation time. However, RCCL and CArnival usually have at least some kids on board since they carry the most children in the industry. RCCL has a great youth program.
Smooh sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mindy,
Try posting in the "meet on board" here at Cruisemates...You may find some other families with kids ont he same sailing:

Meet on Board

Message Boards Moderator