Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Default Tell me about the kids programs on Carnival & RCCl? w/a

I will be cruiseing with a 6 and 9 y/o tell me all about the kids programs!
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Big Craig

Default Re: Tell me about the kids programs on Carnival & RCCl?

Carnival for kids programs. Period. RCCL is wonderful but Carnival has them beat hands down, we are cruising the Triumph 12-11-2004 with our 11 yr old and would love to know she will have kids around her age.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Passenger

Carnival's website has a great area that will give sample itineraries of activities at the kid's club for different ages. Per their brochure they have a computer area, pizza parties, video game tournaments, tie-dye shirts, movies, play station 2, scavenger hunts, face painting, books, jewelry making, teen dances. We are sailing for the first time and taking our 3 and 6 year old boys. The 6 year old is REALLY excited about the 24 hour ice cream bar!

Carnival Paradise
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
The Hills

Hi There:

We took our 51/2 and 81/2 on a Caribbean Cruise in March 2004 on Carnival Legend. The kids had a great time but the Camp Carnival was located at the very front of the ship on deck five, in a dark coloured room with "sklylight " style windows. When the seas got a little rough many of the kids got ill. The kids spent most of their time inside doing crafts, very little time outside. The counsellors did take the kids to the shows and did offer late night babysitting for a mimimal amount. Carnival does offer to take the kids to dinner every night except the 1st and last night so the parents can truly enjoy their time alone at dinner. I did find the rules a little insane at time e.g. only the person who dropped off the child could pick them up so if I drop them off my husband could not pick them up. We both registered with the counsellors and had ship id's with pictures on! They do provide pagers and one day they wouldn't let me pick up my child as I didn't have my pager with me. I had left it in the cabin and had to go back to get it and theyn they wanted to charge me a late fee!!!

We are now taking my now 6 year old and her 8 year old cousin on RCCL in January 2005. The differences I have seen is the location of the kids club. It is located in a bright windowed room at the top of the ship. They have a rock climbing wall, mini golf and a kids slide/pool area. I don't think they take the kids to dinner as often. I will let you know how it goes when I get back!

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Yeoman

OK, here's aplug for RCCL. Our kids have cruised 4 times in 5 years. they are 5and 10. They love Adventure Ocean and so do we!. It depends on the ship and the staff just like anything else but have never had a problem w/ kids not enjoying themselves. Our last cruise was in Alaska. They brought a Native American on board and told stories for the whole ship over the PA but the kids got to be right there while they told stories and were able to have their pix taken w/ individual. Also, they got first shot at sighting whales and sea life, they saw them first as their area on the Vision class is up front with 180 degree glass. I have had to drag them out of there to get them on land. I have boys and RCCL is definately geared for the active child.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Cbr47

Default Re: Re: Tell me about the kids programs on Carnival & RC

Our children have been cruising since they were 14 months old. Our 9 year old has been on 7 cruises and our 11 year old has been on 8. We're cruising with them on the Queen Mary 2 in February. I must say, Carnival's kids program is great and our daughters really had fun. They were pretty young at the time, but they were kept active and had a lot to show for it. Pillow cases, hats and tee shirts that they painted, pictures they drew. We also cruised Royal Carribean's Sovereign of the Seas and our daughters loved the kids program on that ship. We were with all 4 grand parents, so the 8 of us had dinner together and after eating their meals the children would ask us to take them to the play room. The adults could then enjoy a leisurely dessert, knowing the children were well cared for and happy. You never know how many children of any age will be on board when you sail. But if the childrens program is well run with experienced adults and lots of fun activities, you can't go wrong. Bon Voyage!!
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Luisa

Default TO: CRB47

Dear CRB 47:
I'd love to hear about the Queen Mary's youth program and kid friendly facilities.
Please post a message about it after your cruise.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM
First Mate

Another plug for RCCL over Carnival. We have done both, our boys are 6 and 4 YO and have been on 5 cruises over the past 2-1/2 years. The kids enjoyed both, however, I found the counselors better on RCCL and they take the kids all over the ship and play outside. We had lots of surprises when looking in the photo gallery to see our kids had photos with the captain and as pirates marauding the ship! Often when we went to pick them up there would be a sign telling us where they were (getting ice cream or on the sports deck, etc.) Carnival tends to have 95% of the activities in the kid's center.

Margie