Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How do you deal with ...

The people on these message boards who are so against children cruising. Its as though they are the only ones who have a right to be on a ship. What do you do when you face them while on vacation?

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How do you deal with ...

I never encountered that attitude while cruising. There is such a huge mix of ages, nationalities, etc., that I honestly felt everyone was welcome.

I *did* see a couple of dirty looks thrown towards the hottub that the kids weren't supposed to be using - it was PACKED with kids.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We cruise with our children and haven't had any problems.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Admiral

You may read about folks who don't like kids, but I don't think you are going to run into
a bunch of rotten oldsters who will want to throw you and your kids overboard.UNLESS.
Unless your kids are riding up and down the elevators for hours at a time pushing all the buttons.
Unless your kids are sitting for two hours at a time in an adult hot tub.
Unless you are seated at a table for ten , late seating and your kids normally go to bed at 8pm and are whiny little dears being kept up two hours beyond their bedtimes, ruining a whole bunch of other folks dinner.
Unless you sit and have a quiet after dinner drink while your kids swing from the dining room light fixtures.
Unless your kids are playing handball on the cabin walls at 2am.
Etc Etc.
Most of the posts you will read are more about the parents of the kids who let them run unsupervised around the ship etc. If your children are well behaved children, enjoying themselves and enjoying being on vacation with you, no one will say a word to you or the kids. In most cases children having good fun is enjoyed by everyone around them . Nothing tops the laughter of a child.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:58 PM
Yeoman

I have to agree with PapaBill, we have cruised with our kids and without. We never had any real problem, BUT we don't let our kids behave like little brats, and we don't assume that everyone else thinks they are adorable( screaming their little heads off in the theatre or dining room) !
If you have decently behaved kids( no , none are perfect and most people do understand that) then you won't have any problems.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Yeoman

At first I was worried after reading some nasty posts. Then I thought, why should I worry unless my kid is being really bad (my son is so used to traveling and being out and is usually pretty good). Our first cruise with him (11 months old) was great. We didn't have any problems and our son sometimes slept through dinner and shows. Last time at 23 months, he was much more active and couldn't sit still at dinner. When one of us skipped a course, we took him for a short walk outside to stretch. I also bring some quiet toys and books for him to play with when he's not eating. Nevertheless, he was not loud or wasn't running around bothering others (we had our own table). There was a family seated next to us with their 2 kids (maybe 7 and 9 years old). I swear I never once saw anyone smile in that family when they did show up for dinner. Every time they were there they shot us nasty looks. I celebrated my birthday (New Year's Day) and based on previous experience my dad knew to order a cake ahead of time. When they brought the cake out and sang, the looks really started to fly from the parents. A few minutes later, the waiter brought out a piece of dessert with a candle on it for the son. As we were leaving I wished the boy happy birthday in a nice cheery tone of voice. He didn't say anything, but the parents shot me yet another look, and mumbled happy birthday to me in a not so nice tone. That was the only time I experienced any negative attitudes towards us regarding our son. Funny thing is that they had kids too, though older, they were still kids. Most people commented on how cute and well behaved our son was (one woman went out of her way the last night at dinner to mention this to us). If our son acts up, then I do remove him from the situation no matter what so I don't bother anyone else. As the others have said, most people understand this and as long as the parent is in control, then it shouldn't be an issue.

alison
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:14 AM
Admiral

alison you said it best- " as long as the parent is in control, then is shouldn't be an issue"
Old December 26th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I agree - it is the parents who don't control or supervise their children are the ones who make others post about how bad kids are on cruises. Many kids are well behaved and parents are doing what they should to ensure that not only they and their kids but the other passengers enjoy their cruise. But, many parents don't supervise or follow the rules and allow their kids to run amok or don't control them. These are the parents and kids who earn the wrath and ire of other cruisers. They say, well we paid for our vacation, and we will do what we want to do....well guess, what? The rest of us have also paid for our cruises and expect some courtesy and respect also.

Old January 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Alison said it best. Well parented children are lovely to be around. On our last cruise we were seated next to children on 2 nights. Once a little baby - very sweet - mostly slept but when he awoke parents were quick to keep him happy - so fussing was very minimal - no problem at all. Another night - next table - some toddlers - once again - not a problem - parents had provided small toys to keep little ones amused between courses. The little girl and I were facing each other and we exchanged some waves and a little peak-a-boo over dessert. I wish I could say all parents were doing as great a job but a few tables down a 6 year old (approximately) was sprawled under a table where waiters could easily be tripped and was tearing up packets of sugar and tossing the contents around. The "parents" were ignoring him. I am glad to say that scene was the exception - most kids on our cruise seemed pretty well-parented.