Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM
hostess

Default longest cruise with kids

hi luisa,

I know you have been on alot of cruises w/ daughter. How long is the longest you have been on a cruise ship? 7,10,14etc.

I would love to do panama canal but shortest I see is 11 days, not sure if that is too long?

Also, I tried to read your article on third generation cruising and got an error message. Can you email it to me TamiHost3@msn.com?

Thanks,
Tami
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Luisa

Default Re: longest cruise with kids

Hi Tami:
Thanks for alerting me about the 3Generations article link -- I'll alert our webmaster and send you my draft copy of the article on your home email. (It won't have pix like the one on this site has...)
Actually, we've never done a cruise longer than 7 days with my daughter, however I know that she/we would like to! It's always been more of a time issue and not that we wouldn't love to be on board for more days! My daughter is 11 years and LOVES cruising. How old is your child/ren? That would be a helpful factor in deciding the length.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:43 PM
hostess

Default Re: Re: longest cruise with kids

thanks I got the article.
Our kids are 2 1/2 and 6. We are going on carnival Spirit mexican riveria in april with both kids and my parents. Out 6 yr old crusied with us last year. I know until our daughter is 3 and potty trained we are limited to Carnival and NCL. My husband and I have been on 5 cruises and are totally hooked.
Let me know what you think about Panama Canal and longest days??
Thanks
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Luisa

Tami:
My three year old has been on 5 cruises already -- all 7 days each. However, at the end of the 7 days, I've never felt that we/he needed to jump ship! We all would have been fine staying on a few more days. The kids might find the Panama Canal experience boring but they could still participate in the youth program the day you're going through the Canal. That's why CCL is your best bet until your daughter is not only 3 but also potty trained!
Best,
Luisa
Old January 30th, 2005, 10:14 PM
yayayayaya

why take your 3 year old...are they going to remember it?
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Le Anne

My daughter went on her first cruise at about 18 months. We do at least 2 cruises a year. I have taken her 14 days and this summer plan on 2 cruises on 12 days and one 10 days with a 4 day break in between. She has a better understanding of the world. I was the only mom to get a card that says I love my mom because she takes me cruising when she was in kindergarten. We love it as a family since we have family time and adult time both on the same trip. She has good manners and even as a small child was welcomed even by people who were not real kid savy. She ate off the adult menu starting at about 4. She has now been on 13 cruises and will add Europe and England this summer.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:23 PM
hostess

Good for you! I am so sure that all those kindergarten moms were jealous of your card.
We are headed on Mexician Riveria in April with 2 1/2 and 6yr old we are all so excited, it will be our my husband & I 5th cruise adn our 6 yr old's 2nd cruise. He just informed us he wants to go to kids camp every night.(let's hope the 2 yr old loves it as much as her brother) it is nice for a little break. Happy cruising to Europe & England. Email me how it all works out. TamiHost3@msn.com My dream is greek isles and Italy in a couple of years.Take care.

Tami
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Admiral

I took my 2 and 4 year old, perhaps my 2 year old won't remember the experience (Although I do have some wonderful memories when I was two doing fun stuff with my parents) however, I know that I'll remember the experience. I have great pictures of her and her brother having a ball on the ship. I also have beautiful pieces of artwork they created while at Camp Carnival. My d/h has been out of town on business this week. Its been so fun to take them out to dinner at grown up restaurants and see how well behaved they are. I'd like to think that it is from being exposed to things from an early age that many small children don't get to do too often. They actually enjoy getting to have a nice quiet dinner (even though my daughter will occasionally break into song and serenade every one in the dining room with a chorus of the Barney song) spending time together while getting mom's undivided attention even though there is no Happy Meal Toy. Likewise I'd like to think it is good for kids to be with their parents in a relaxed atmosphere where we are not so stressed out trying to meet deadlines and schedules. I thought about that this morning as I was hustling around the house trying to get my 4 year old to School and my 2 year old to the sitter on time, so I could get back to get caught up on some projects. I wouldn't trade those days on the ship with my kids for anything...its quality time and the best of all worlds. They get to be kids and go to Camp Carnival while mom and dad get to reconnect a bit. Then we all come together as a family. It is the only type of vacation I found for families like us with small children where we all get what we want out of a vacation and don't come back more exhausted than when we left. I know that if I left the kids behind with their grandparents while d/h and I went away on vacation, they would miss us terribly, and I would miss them too... it would likely ruin my vacation.
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
hostess

thanks for your message. we are all getting excited for our cruise 7 weeks to go. My TA called today with an upgrade. !!!!!!!!!YAH. We will all have a great time and are looking forward to having the same pictures of my kids on the ship that you spoke about.
Happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already starting to look at 2006 schedules.