Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Luisa

Default WE NEED YOU! PLS. VOTE FOR FAVORITE FAMILY CRUISE LINE

I would like to write my February or March article for this family cruise site on your favorite family cruise line. Thus I have a few questions below that I'd like you to answer for our informal poll. Feel free to give details about why you chose the cruise line/lines you vote for. I'd like to hear from as many of you as possible by January 28.

(Please Note: Since we can't vote in private, I assume no one will dispute what others vote for.) I'll compile the information in article form for all to read. Thanks for your thoughtful input.

1. Which is your favorite family cruise line? Why?
2. Which is the best line for infants and toddlers?
3. Which SHIPS are best for teens?
4. Which line has the most engaging hands-on learning activities as part of their youth programs?
5. Which line features the most understanding yet fun youth counselors?
6. Which SHIPS have the best public faciltiies for families (such as outdoor waterplay areas, mini-golf, etc.)?
7. Which is the most economical/affordable line for a family of four to cruise on?

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
CruiseMates.com
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: WE NEED YOU! PLS. VOTE FOR FAVORITE FAMILY CRUISE LINE

Hi Luisa,
My vote goes to Royal Caribbean, especially the "Voyager" class ships. They do seem to attact many families/kids and with good reason. They offer a kids program that kids seem to love, plus all the other activities they have going. On these ships there is even the inline skating, roller, rock climbing wall, etc... There is vertually something for everyone and I do like the pool deck, unlike the Radiance class, where there just isn't enough space for the passengers, especially on a "sea" day, where Voyager seems to have more space and more chairs...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Yeoman

Ok,
Add another vote for RCCL. We have taken our kids on them since the little one was 18 months. We are now booked on 5th cruise in 5 years. We started on Soveriegn of the Seas and they were great so graduated up to longer cruises. The only negative for toddlers is that the kids program needs the kids to be 3 and potty trained whereas Carnival takes them at 2. As a high school teacher here in Fl, many of my students cruise and here is some feed back.......Voyager class is a great type of ship if you have very active kids. Princess is a great ship for relaxing and doing "girly stuff" like high tea etc. Carnival is a great party ship . Not as much to do as on Voyager class but if you like to "sightsee around the pool area, it's great for people watching" Word of caution about
Carnival... teens that have been on these ships have for the most part talked about the amount of adult behavior that is displayed in a negative way. Their fellow passengers have given them a great education on how to make good and bad choices. HAL has a tendency to be a bit more sedate and that is the cruise line you go on with your grandparents. Disney is great for younger kids and I think the older ones too but they won't admit that they like it. Ok, back to my own 2. They love the Vision class on Rccl. Rock climbing wall is a hit and so is Adventure Ocean. Kids have been in carribbean and Alaska and it was in Alaska that they got to experience incredible learning experiences. Kids were the first to see the marine life and glaciers and met with native americans and had their pix taken with them and got to ask questions. Got to learn about oil spills etc. Also, they have taken care of B'day parties and gone the extra mile for us as when youngest turned 4 and we had his party onboard ship. Had it in Adventure Ocean complete w/ pinata that we brought on but the crew helped us pull it off complete with candy scavenge and being serenaded by the ships entertainers and a visit from the navigation officer. So.. my vote is for RCCL
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:31 PM
KTJ

We just returned from the Norwegian Sun. This was our first cruise, so we have no comparable data. That being said...we loved it and so did our kids. We chose NCL because we were traveling with our 2 year old and 5 year old. The counselors were fantastic (Sassy & Jello), the facilities in the kids club great, the programs terrific.

We had a cabin that included a king size bed for us, a pull out couch for our two year old and a pull down bed for our son. It worked well for us.

My only improvement would have been a better kids pool area.

As I stated, I have no comparison, however, I would return to NCL in a heartbeat.
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Beginner

My vote RCCL . Why....... The Ships, the Food, the kids programs, the great staff, best of all the Price.
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:19 PM
yayayayaya

i've been on Carnival and RCCL.....CARNIVAL GETS MY VOTE! (ps, im 15)
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Yeoman

Another vote for RCI! Weve done Enchantment with our then 11 mos old son, Navigator at 23 mos, and Mariner at 35 mos. The Voyager class ships have a lot more to offer, but one with a kids pool / water slide on the back would be really nice! I cant say anything about the Adventure Ocean program since our son was still too young, but Ive read nothing but positive reviews about it. Having the different dining options is a plus when you have a little one that cant sit through long meals. The staff has usually been great about doing a little more for us (empty the trash, bring son's meal ahead of time, getting us served quickly so we can get out before he gets antsy, sometimes entertaining him at dinner, etc). Ive done Princess and HAL when I was in college, but none had the facilities like RCI have!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal