CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Teen Activities (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/277704-teen-activities.html)

tamigene February 3rd, 2005 01:19 PM

Teen Activities

We cruised for the first time last year and are wanting to take the kids. The kids would be 9 and 18 at the time we are looking at going. The 9 year old I realize will have a lot of activities to participate in but I'm a little worried about the 18 year old. He will be a senior in high school but in reading some of the information the activities and "teen areas" show only until 17 years of age. Would he be kept from attending any events or out of some areas? This is kindof a strange age because he is still in high school but not old enough for the "over 21" activities. Thanks for any info.

Tami

Darcy February 3rd, 2005 01:30 PM

Re: Teen Activities

Tami

We took our 18 year old son with us. He met quite a few others on board that were 18-19 and they all hung out together and had a great time. I really wouldn't worry about it. They were old enough that they didn't want to hang out with the younger teens (15-17).

Darcy

tamigene February 3rd, 2005 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Teen Activities

Thanks. How did you handle the room situation? Did you get the kids a separate room?

Darcy February 3rd, 2005 03:05 PM

Yes, we did get the kids a seperate room. We travel with 3-4 of them depending on school and college vacations. Adults in one and kids in the other. The two bathrooms are invaluable with 5-6 people! We get two inside cabins right next to each other. I bring the old baby monitor so I can keep track of what's going on in the kids room.

tamigene February 3rd, 2005 03:51 PM

Thanks and what a good idea with the monitor! I was just worried that the 18 year old would be really bored. Actually I have twins that are going to be 18 so they would have each other but that get's tiresome after awhile. Do you usually take the 5 or 7 day cruises with the kids? Do alot of shore excursions?

Darcy February 3rd, 2005 04:09 PM

The first cruise we took with the kids was a 5 day out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas which we combined with two days at Universal Studios. None of the kids had cruised before so we wanted to see how they did. Last year we did a 7 day western carribean cruise with three of the kids and we all had a blast. We did one excursion in every port and two in Cozumel.

In the Bahamas we did snorkeling, parasailing, wave runners and the dolphin swim.

In Grand Cayman we did the Sting Ray sandbar/snorkel trip, in Belize we did the cave tubing, in Cozumel we did the Sea Trek Helmet Dive and the Sea Lion Swim (both at Chankanaab Park where we spent the day), and in Costa Maya we rented a golf cart and went to Majahual and spent a few hours at the beach and just wandered around on our own.

cali-croozer February 3rd, 2005 10:47 PM

What ship are you going on............some have more sports activities than others (like the big Royal Carribbean ships). I've only cruised Carnival and they have had enough to keep my boys busy, but they are not 18. At least you have two 18 year olds so they can hang out together until they meet other teens their age. If on Carnival, there will be the pool area, ping pong, small basketball court (on some ships), maybe a vollyball court and shuffleboard. If on the big Royal Carribean ships, add to that list rock climbing, ice skating, small golf course (have not been on RCCL.......I don't know if these areas get too busy to be worth it or not.) There's always the dance club at night.

We cruised 2 times in a quad room (4 berths); this time, we'll be like Darcy. Two inside rooms, next to each other. We've also only done 7 day cruises.......5 days is not enough, in my opinion. Our excursions focus on beach time and snorkeling.

LisaK February 4th, 2005 09:54 AM

Tami, not to worry, older teens tend to find eachother, either on the basketball or volleyball court, by the pool etc, he will find plenty of things to do.