Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:00 AM
teresag

Default kid unfriendly posts

Many times on these boards, I have seen negative comments made regarding families with children traveling on cruises. So much so that I seriously considered switching my families cruise on Carnival to Disney cruise line. However, we like the itenerary offered on Carnival. Now, my kids are not angels, but not devils either.... I find it hard to believe that my kids could seriously mess up anyone elses cruise. With all the negative comments regarding kids, can we as a family truly go on the cruise on Carnival and have a great time as a family? I know we are not alone---there are many families that cruise for vacations. Why all the negative comments?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: kid unfriendly posts

There are many people who just need to complain about something. Just the sight of a child or the presence of one sitting at the next table, whether quiet or discussing with enthusiasm their great day on the ship while eating dinner with a parent(s), can be bothersome to some . I've never had a ruined vacation due to some child's (or my own, of course) actions. Go ahead and book the cruise YOU want.

Have a fabulous time!

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Luisa

My 11 yo daughter has been on 18 cruises and I've never felt that she was unwanted by other pax. Go on whatever ships suits your needs, interests, and pocketbooks.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Teresa

We've cruised with our children (3-4 depending on college and school vacation weeks now) and have never had a problem. I've found Carnival to be very child friendly. I think the children people are complaining about are the ones that are running around the ship unsupervised and being disruptive. While any kid can have their moments, generally if you have well-behaved, supervised kids you shouldn't run into any problems at all. I've found we're generally too busy, both on the ship and in port, for the kids to think about misbehaving, and then at night their exhausted and are asleep within a few minutes of being in bed.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to snowyowlone

We started family cruising a few years ago and have never had a problem. I have seen some kids late at night being a litte loud but it was just outside of the disco were they had a hang out. No big deal. It's their vacation too. I have also seen adults being loud too. I would not stop cruising because of other people. I lay down the rules to my kids before we cruise.
We have only cruised on Carnival. I just some people just have to complain about something. But then I do have to say I have never seen anything that bad from kids. We as a family (dh,dw,dd 10, and dd 12) we think cruising is the only way to go.

Mardi Gras 5X in the 80's
Holiday 93
Legend 03
Pride 2-1-04
Sensation 2-21-04
Valor 1-29-06
Next cruise 6-16-2010 on the Miracle!!!
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Well behaved supervised children are never a problem. I have only encountered problems with unsupervised, under- parented children. Even when children are having a "bad" moment, if a parent is present and deals with the situation appropriately, it certainly does not bother me.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
cali-croozer

We've sailed twice with our kids on Carnival. It is very family friendly. We've never had any problems with kids or teens, but it could happen on any cruise line. We'll be sailing for the 3rd time with our kid this summer and don't expect any problems this time either. Just go over the rules and expectations with your kids before you go and you'll have a great time. (A lot of the ground rules are safety rules too, remember.....so even well behaved kids need to be informed.....for example, don't go to the cabin alone, don't go to anyone else's cabin, even better, don't loiter on any of the "cabin only" decks, don't accept drinks from anyone, don't put your drink down..........etc.)
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Admiral

well-behaved, and supervised kids will always be welcome on any cruise, any time any where. Its the unsupervised kids who unfortunatley have parents who let their kids do as they please, thinking that they can take a "vacation from parenting" - those are the kids (few and far between) that most people complain about.
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Flagators

Just go on the cruise you want to go on. If a person says that kids shouldn't be alowed on the ship just tell them to leave if they don't like it

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Passenger

We took our son on a carnival cruise. At the captains coctail party he was the first and the only one on the dance floor. The band stopped and had everyone give him a hand for being so brave. He ate up all the attention especially when the cruise director went up to dance with him. Everyone loved him and for the rest of the week every show, pool and other place we went people were buying him chocolate milks! I know I am partial, but I thought he was cute. Not once did we hear a negative comment about his presence on the ship!

Kim

Enchantment of the seas 2001
Gradeur of the Seas 1998
Soverign of the Seas 1997, 1996
Viking Serendade 1994
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Laurie Qualls

it is a family vacation ship during vacations so many kids...if a person is not partial to children..they should take an adult themed cruise line....Carnival is very kid friendly....So to all of those oldsters who give you a look if you take kids anywhere but Mcdonalds...Get over it.......
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Yeoman

My now 3 yr old has been on 3 New Years cruises already and we are going on another one (with a baby too). Ive only had one "run in" with unhappy pax and get this-they had kids too! They were at the table next to us at dinner, and my son was not a nuisance to anyone, but they never smiled, and had a fit one night when I was brought a birthday cake (it was their son's bday too and they didnt order him one). Ive actually had people come up and tell us what a well behaved son we have (granted he was easier to deal with when he was younger since he would sit still). The only problem I have with other kids is when the parents arent doing their job. Kids running around late at night making noise, jumping and splashing in the hot tub (turned out the parents were sitting right there too and never said a word despite people complaining), etc. People like to complain about anything they can, and unfortuantely its usually kids. They need to realize if theyre sailing on a family type line, there will be kids, and lots of them if its over school breaks. Go and have a great time. Dont worry about what others think as long as you are doing your best not to be disrespectful to others!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Jenne

Oh, phewy on them. We were on the Elation minus our kids 2 years ago and my sil and I would see the kids and see how much fun they were having and couldn't wait to book another one with our own. The only time I saw any problems with any kids was when they were unsupervised(not in kids club or with a parent) and were too young IMO to be flying solo. But, I keep a tight reign over mine, for safety, not that they're hyper or anything. We eat together every night as a family over dinner. And since we've booked our next I've been getting really excited and started working even more on their manors/table ettiquette. I hope in all of the excitement they don't forget how to behave. I'm sure they will be good though and it will be the time of their lives. Just have fun with them.
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Laurie Qualls

Default Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

you go girl....
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Carnival is a very kid-friendly line. So much so that some of the rules (no kids in the adults only hot tubs) are often ignored.

My son (who was 13 on his first cruise) was "adopted" by the social directors and they called him up on stage to participate in something almost every game. He eventually was awarded a ship-on-a-stick for being onstage the most all week!

Carnival is a great line for kids. Go and enjoy yourself!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Beginner

We were on the Imagination last January w/ our then 2.5yo.

Went to general seating dinner after the long day in Cozumel and were seated with a couple who rolled their eyes when we sat down. My dd was VERY well behaved and barely said a word (she's very shy around new people).

The couple sat there for about 3min and finally the woman said, " I don't want to be rude, but we left our children home on purpose and would rather not sit with any during dinner." .. and they got up and left.

I was REALLY ticked at her, but I am glad they left rather than sit through dinner rolling their eyes at us.

FWIW, that was the ONLY night we had dd in the dining room, she went to "Camp" during dinner the remaining nights.

We are about to cruise again next month and at 3.5yo we are going to try and have her sit with us in the dining room. I am planning on trying to have her eat her dinner and then dh or I will bring her down to Camp for the remainder of our dinner.

Don't let others poor opinions of children keep you from enjoying a FAMILY vacation!

Christine
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Minniemouse:

Those people should have asked for a table for two if thats how they felt. As long as your child is well behaved there's no reason why she can't have dinner in the dining room. On our last cruise there was a little one at the table next to ours and he was great at dinner every night, other than one, and his parents removed him as soon as he began to get fussy. Let's face it at that age when kids get tired it doesn't matter how well behaved they are normally, they all have their "melt-downs".

Have a great cruise.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Passenger

I'm surprised to hear that on cruise lines that bill themselves as "family friendly" people who don't want to deal with kids would book on them. Aren't there lines that are more adult geared out there?
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

"We were on the Imagination last January w/ our then 2.5yo.

Went to general seating dinner after the long day in Cozumel and were seated with a couple who rolled their eyes when we sat down. My dd was VERY well behaved and barely said a word (she's very shy around new people).

The couple sat there for about 3min and finally the woman said, " I don't want to be rude, but we left our children home on purpose and would rather not sit with any during dinner." .. and they got up and left.

I was REALLY ticked at her, but I am glad they left rather than sit through dinner rolling their eyes at us."

Why were you angry with her? They did not want to sit with a 2.5 year old.
I would not be offended, just glad that they were honest.

They left their children at home and wanted some adult companions at dinner - no big deal!

When I cruised pre-children I did not want to sit at a table with children. To tell you the truth, if I cruised sans children today I would not want to be seated with children.

I would have asked them if they minded sitting with my daughter, that we would not be offended if they changed tables.......i have done this on previous cruises with my daughter ....btw and so far no one has taken me up on it. If they did, it would be OK with me.

Just chalk it up to experience for your next cruise.- Why don't you ask whomever you are seated with if they mind dining with a 3 year old? Might make the whole situation a lot more confortable for everyone......
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM
minniemouse

Default Re: Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

Babs I think you missed my point.

Although I am peeved that they didn't want to sit w/ us, I am more upset about HOW they left and what the woman said. Saying, "I don't want to be rude," before going ahead and being rude does not excuse ones actions.

And yes I can expect someone to eat a pleasant dinner with a child at the table. Although I realize there are parents out there that are less than stellar, my dd is well behaved and we would NEVER allow her to disrupt someone else's meal. If she got to the point that we though she would WE would have left.

If I was somewhere w/o my daughter (which rarely happens), I would be thrilled to sit with a child.

As I said, this was an open seating night so we weren't going to subject our daughter to them for the entire cruise... the most polite thing for them to have done...to avoid being rude... would have been to sit and eat their dinner graciously.

Like another poster said...if you don't want to be "exposed" to kids don't cruise w/ a line that caters to families.

Oh and I wouldn't DREAM of asking someone if it was "okay" for us to sit with them because I have a child w/ me. If my daughter wasn't able to sit at the table and eat a meal, I wouldn't have brought her in the first place.

Christine
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Jenne

Default Re: Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

I think the "classy" thing would have been for the woman to politely eat through her dinner, or excuse herself "to retrieve something from the cabin", and then ask the maitre'd to seat her elsewhere the next night. That's just plain rude. Just because she's uncomfortable with a situation doesn't mean she should be rude.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

"Babs I think you missed my point.

Although I am peeved that they didn't want to sit w/ us, I am more upset about HOW they left and what the woman said. Saying, "I don't want to be rude," before going ahead and being rude does not excuse ones actions.

And yes I can expect someone to eat a pleasant dinner with a child at the table. Although I realize there are parents out there that are less than stellar, my dd is well behaved and we would NEVER allow her to disrupt someone else's meal. If she got to the point that we though she would WE would have left.

If I was somewhere w/o my daughter (which rarely happens), I would be thrilled to sit with a child.

As I said, this was an open seating night so we weren't going to subject our daughter to them for the entire cruise... the most polite thing for them to have done...to avoid being rude... would have been to sit and eat their dinner graciously.

Like another poster said...if you don't want to be "exposed" to kids don't cruise w/ a line that caters to families.

Oh and I wouldn't DREAM of asking someone if it was "okay" for us to sit with them because I have a child w/ me. If my daughter wasn't able to sit at the table and eat a meal, I wouldn't have brought her in the first place."

Christine,
I did not miss your point .... the woman was not rude, she was honest - you just did not like what she had to say, that's all.

Last Friday, my husband took me out for my birthday to a very nice, exclusive restaurant.....(woohoo I had a babysitter for my 21 month old) ..I did not want to sit with ro next to a child, period. Nothing wrong with it.

You missed my point about asking someone if they minded sitting with a child. I would expect that they would move, not my family. I've never had anyone take me up on it. I am proud to say my daughter is absolutely wonderful in restaurants, planes, cruises etc. I just don't expect that everyone else would be thrilled to be sitting with a toddler (even though she is so cute!). It's quite a bit self-centered to think otherwise.

Cruises are geared to a wide demographic, not just familes with children.

I commend the woman for her honesty.
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Eve

I think it was very Rude as well. Your daughter shouldn't have to hear such unfriendly remark from an adult. Maybe the cruise ships should prepare the seating more the their clients need. For example as a prerequisite ask us if we would mind sitting with children or if we would rather not. This would put an end to the entire situation.
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
stephens

Bravo! Bravo! Babs!

To the OP:

People are fed up with children who aren't parented. Family- friendly does not mean you give all manners or courtesy and let your children cause a disturbance. The few bad apples .......those parents who don't parent........are giving the attentive parent a bad name.

Just parent your children and enjoy the cruise!

Mrs. Stephens
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

Babs I'm sorry to say but there are many times that being honest IS being rude. This is one of those situtations.

A Carnival dining room is NOT an exclusive restaurant. There are restaurants that I don't bring my daughter to.... if I felt that the CASUAL night that we had open seating in the dining room equalled an exclusive restaurant on land..then no my daughter would not have been there... but it doesn't.

Again...this was NOT formal night, it was not our permanently assigned table. Yes the woman was honest but she was also rude and I don't think she has ANY excuse for being so. There were much nicer ways that she could have excused herself and I still stand by me not asking others if it's "okay" for my child to sit with us. I don't think it's self-centered either. I'm not assuming they will love my child (as adorable and loving as she is), I am assuming thought that they are polite in a social situation and this woman wasn't.

It would have been one thing if my child had been dragged into the dining room kicking and screaming w/ us yelling at her for her behavior...it would have been evident that dinner would have NOT been fun. To be rude to a family just because a child is PRESENT...isn't acceptable.

Christine
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM
mytwomoms

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kid unfriendly posts

I'm cruising in the future and I was wondering about dining room etiquette for my 3 year old twins.

I certainly would not want to be seated with people who did not want to sit with a child.
I can RESPECT their wishes. and don't think its rude as some people say.

My twins are extremely well-behaved but maybe people want some adult conversation at the table instead of my husband and I doting on the twins.

As Eve mentions, maybe it should have been handled by the maitre'd prior to being seated.

If she had said I don't want to be seated with rugrat's - now that would be rude!
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ztalumni

I have only cruised on Royal Caribbean and I have never noticed it as being an "unfriendly " environment for my children. We do however sit at a table with just our family. I have noticed that the teens can get a bit rowdy- we had a group of 4 across the hall from us and their parents were staying on a totally different floor. That was not fun for us- they were loud, kept slamming the door at all hours in the night- but all and all- they were just being teenagers. Nothing that was so horrible that my trip was ruined. I think there are just some people out there that do not like children at all- and the sight of one just brings their blood to boil- and those people will have problems with kids no matter where they are. I think you should feel comfortable bringing your children on the cruise.

Voyager of the Seas
March 12, 2005

Navigator of the Seas
March 2004

Costa Allegra
June 2002
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Passenger

Default Lighten up!

Lighten up ladies! Isn't this about vacationing? I think both sides of this issue are right to an extent. It's okay for a couple not to want to sit with a child. Every parent thinks their child is the most adorable, sweetest, well behaved etc.etc. but it's all in the eye of the beholder. And to be honest, what mom and dad might find adorable, others will find obnoxious. That's okay, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! You give them 100% unconditional love. What lucky kids!

I do agree with the poster who found the couple who didn't want to sit with their child rude. What was said wasn't bad but teamed with eyerolling and an obvious attitude - that's no neccessary.

BTW If I run into any of you with my less than perfect kids on RCl next year, please cut us some slack. My kids are a work in progress and believe it or not didn't come fully trained! I didn't realize you could order them that way!
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

familycruiser - there are plenty of people on Carnival sailing who DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN WITH THEM! It is not a crime to NOT want to sit with a family with children - especially if you have left yours behind to have some "husband-wife" time, are single or are a childless couple, or are older and your kids are out on their own, or are a group of women who have left family, work and kids behind. I do not feel the woman who asked to be moved was rude - she was honest, and I am truly sorry that those who feel she was rude feel that way. How would you have liked it if they sat through dinner and were totally unhappy (and in effect made YOUR meal miserable) - and then later on went on to badmouth you and your children? YOU might feel better, but for them it was an imposition and not what they wanted from their vacation.

As long as cruise lines advertise and cater to ALL types of cruisers (families, singles, couples, older cruisers, newlyweds, gay/lesbian, etc.) you have to expect that there will be times when things will not go smoothly. Be flexible and don't hold people who do not want what you want out of a cruise in contempt or be angry at them. They were marketed the same cruise line you were!

Old March 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM
mytwomoms

but I also wouldn't be stupid enough to go on a Carnival cruise expecting an adult oriented vacation,

Carnival does cater to many beyond families.... ie the casino, topless deck, r rated late shows..... yup........ they are a family oriented cruise line!