Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Janeboxer

Default Family of 6

We will be having our fourth child in May. We would love to take a family cruise once the baby is 6 months, but it seems that rooms don't take more than 5 people maximum. Any suggestions. Our children will be 6 months, 2, 4, & 5 years. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Family of 6

Wow! I am not an expert, but I, too, have not seen any rooms for 6. Some lines do have connecting rooms (side by side with a common door so you can just keep it open and have 2 rooms) and, with small children, that would be your best bet for safety and security. I have a Carnival brochure and many ships have connecting rooms in most categories. Since they are limited in number, you would want to book well in advance.
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jane,
I know on the Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships, they have a few family suites that would fit the whole family, check into that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean and Princess have family suites that can accomodate 6 people. You might have to book two rooms, either next to eachother or across the hall from eachother. You and a couple kids in one room, wife and other kids in the other room.
You can also look into a mini-suite, not sure if they can accomodate six.
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Yeoman

to: Janeboxer

We too have a family of 6. 3 boys (18,13 and 12) 1 girl (9).
As you can see our ages are older. We tried everything to get a room to accomodate us all. but you need to remember the price is per head, no matter the age!
family suite would have cost us on a 4 night trip $6500.00, so I opted for 2 jr suites and got the price down to $4000.00.
I know your ages are tought to do this, but if you can find 2 connecting rooms, it would probably be your best bet.
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Jenne

We just booked 2 rooms on Norwegian Star. We have 4 children at the time they will be 8(boy/girl twins), 10, and 13. We had to book two rooms side by side. There are tons of connecting cabins as well. But, I'm happy with our arrangement. It will be a girls cabin and a boys cabin. We booked way in advanced for next year so we were able to get the cabins we wanted. Good luck!

Carnival 89
Viking Serenade 94
Carnival Elation 03
NCL Star 06
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Passenger

We have a family of 5 and sailed on the Rhapsody in Sept.. Three boys ages at that time were 4 1/2 & 15 mo old twins (we took two pack-n-play's for them to sleep in).
We stayed in a family stateroom that will sleep 6, there were twin beds pushed together for us, a couch bed & bunk beds in a little nook w/curtain, that is where the boys slept, we used the top bunk for storage, suitcases, etc.. They also have 2 bedroom/2 bath suites w/a balcony but, are more expensive. The family stateroom worked great & we are staying in it again in April.
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Our family of 6 (15, 14, 14, 10) are taking our second cruise on th Conquest June 12th. It is very hard to accommodate a family this large. Our older kids can stay in a cabin themselves now so we got an oceanview room for 3 and an inside cabin across the hall for3. If you want to get side by side or connecting rooms you need to book way in advance (like maybe a year) to be assured of getting them.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Emm

Default Re: Re: Family of 6

How about taking a babysitter along and get 2 rooms? LIke maybe grandma or auntie or even your favorite sitter? Sometimes you can find a great 3rd or 4th rate so that extra 3rd person in a cabin isnt going to be that much extra --
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Lisa G.

Default Re: Re: Re: Family of 6

We are a family of six (kids will be 10, 6, 4, and 4) and we booked, on the Mariner of the Seas, We got a Family Oceanview Stateroom and were quoted a price of $3,500, after discounts and coupons we are paying $3,250 which I think is a great price.
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Family of 6

Lisa,

Was this price for all 6 of you in the family suite? Thats not a bad deal!

I have been looking around for my family of 5 and I thought the suites would be way to much money, and I am not sure I am ready for our 3 kids to have thier own cabin, plus its very hard to find connecting ones.

Do you think the 5 of us will be comfortable in the size suite you have booked, and do you know how the beds are set up?

Thanks so much!

Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
travelerjoyce

Book 2 adjoining rooms, one for adult and one child and one for adult and 3 children. In actuality the two adults sleep in the room for 2 and the 4 kids sleep in the room for 4, bunkbeds. It is usually cheaper than a family suite and you have 2 bathrooms, the family suite only has one. Baby monitors keep you in touch. I have seen this configuration available ih the last month before the cruise but to count on it you would want to book way ahead.
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Yeoman

I agree fully with travelerjoyce........We have to do it that way all the time.
We have 4 kids, ages 18, 13, 12 and 9. It is far to pricey to go any other way!
Even now when my oldest stays home for college, it's still the only way.

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Beginner

My family of 5 is taking a western caribbean cruise 9/11/05 on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I booked way in advance and was able to get 2 connecting rooms on 9th deck. a Superior Oceanview w/ balcony (D1) and a Large Stateroom - oceanview (F). I think this cost less than a room that would have fit all of us. Also, this way we get 2 baths and more space than one room and 2 tvs - not that I plan on that being the big attraction.

I liked the idea that I had a balcony and the kids only had oceanview, as my kids are age 13, 10 and 5. I plan on them sleeping in one room and us in the other. Both rooms can accomodate 3 people, so, who knows, the 5yo may end up in our room at night.
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Passenger

We booked a jr. suite. Im hoping it wil be large enough. I also made sure it had a couch. We were thinking of 2 rooms also. The other cruises that we have been on with the kids have all been inside cabins. We thought it would be fun to get the jr. suite with the balcony.
But i'm not sure it will be big enough.

Just a little tip that I have read from other web sites.---- Make sure you get (egg crates) - -thats what we call them- for the couch and bed. You request them as soon as you board the ship with the cabin stewart. Oh- make sure you give him a tip. There are not very many on board.

We are going on the Adventure Sept. 25.
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Luisa

I'm curious -- why do you get egg crates for the bed/couch? To make it more comfortable, I assume?
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Yes. I have heard horrible stories about how uncomfortable the couch is. I also thought that it wouldnt hurt to put them on just in case. Our kids wanted the pullman beds. I think that they are like bunk beds. Im hoping the egg crate will make them more comfortable.