Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Cruise#2

Default Cramped in a quad?

We have 2 girls, ages 5 and 7, how is a quad for a family our size? What is the 3rd and 4th bed situation?
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Cramped in a quad?

The 3rd & 4th bed pull out from the upper wall so you will have bunk beds. Its tight but doable. We put all 4 of our kids in one room (they're much older than yours). The biggest thing to remember is not to overpack as you don't have a lot of storage space with 4 people in one room. We prefer Carnival as their rooms are larger and it doesn't seem quite as crowded. The other option would be to get adjoining rooms or a family suite. If you decide to do that you would need to book early as they are limited.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:44 PM
BMK

A quad depends on the cruise line and category that you booked. We had a quad last year on Celebrity and it meant a pull out sofa and one upper berth that pullef down from the wall at night. I think the key to surviving in a quad is keeping it neat withas little clutter as possible. Hav a great time.
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to My_chemical_romance27

On our trip ...we had 4 rooms that were quads..and the only room that was really crowded was the one with the teenagers in it...18-21..that because they are teenagers lol...we had no problems..when you go to breakfast..they make up your room and put the beds away for the day...and bring them down when you go to dinner...have a great time..dont sweat the small stuff....
Old February 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM
cali-croozer

We had a "true" quad on Carnival, meaning beds for everyone, no rollaways. We had 2 twin beds that could be put together and 2 upper berths. We sailed in quads twice and my boys were older than yours (11 and 13 first time, 13 and 15 second time) and we did fine. Only cramped when getting ready for formal nights or when everyone needed to shower after a beach excursion.
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:18 AM
jacie59@cox.net

We just came back from RCCL Enchanment of the Seas. There were four of us in an Ocean Superior Balaconly Room. We had plenty of room. The closet was great. There were cubbies enough for us. Enjoy yourselves.
Jacie
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Cruise#2

What would you guess would be the minimum age in the overhead bunk? They don't have railings...
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM
cali-croozer

The bunks do have railings.............my boys were older the first time we cruised with them (11 and 13), but the 11 year old has been know to fall off beds (in camp, etc.). .......the railings on the ship kept him in bed. (PS.........based my answer on Carnival Cruise lines........don't the others have railings?)
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

As I recall Royal Carribean did.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Our balcony room on the Glory was 2 twins pushed together for dh and myself, a pull down from the ceiling and a sofa bed (not a pull out). My son slept on the sofa bed one night and the pull down from the ceiling the rest of the nights. And yes, pull downs do have railings

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Emm

I wouldnt recommend a suite, as most of them have balcony's and with kids that small it scares me. YOu'll be fine in a quad with pull down beds. Just don't overpack as recommended by previous posters. Older ships have smaller staterooms -- i think carnival has the most space for regular ov cabins. Kids that small might even be able to sleep in one twin together, if they put heads at opposite ends. the only time ship cabins seemed cramped is when you're in them, which is almost never
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
krsmum

Just got back from RCCL Mariner & in-laws with 2 kids (ages 3 & 6) were in inside quad cabin. The bunks had railings & neither child had any problems with them. Actually, the kids loved their beds. I would say if the kids don't fall out of bed at home, then they won't on the ship. The bunks are put away by your cabin atendant during the day, & the cabins seem very well designed for storage (lots of room under the bedfor any extras). Just a side note, the kids program on Mariner was fabulous!! The kids never wanted to leave which gave my sister-in-law & her husband, some time to themselves!! The dining room staff also made a big fuss over the kids the 2 nights they ate with us, which made them feel really special. Sorry, we all had such a fabulous time I feel I have to gush about it!!! Hope the info helps.
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Morticia

On the Majesty of the Seas and the Enchantment of the seas the D1 and Js cabins are listed as just having a sofa bed (in addition to the twins that go together as a queen) but sleep 4. Is this a double pull out sofa or is there an upper bunk?