Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM
crazymom

Default Photo I.D.'s for kids

Can any one tell me where you've gotten Photo I.D.'s for your kids? I've been thinking mabey the drivers liscense place or the Police station mabey.....has any one else done this or do you really need Photo I.D.s?????? We'll be on Carnival Fantasy.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Photo I.D.'s for kids

I dont know how old your kids are, but I got my son a passport right after he was born. If your kids are in school, maybe a school id would work. I think if they are under a certain age, you do not need a photo id for them, but its nice to have a photo of them on hand in an emergency. A passport makes life a whole lot easier too. If you miss the ship for any reasons, it will be an expensive and tiresome ordeal to get back home without one!

On a side note, and this might work for a photo id: I attended a safety awareness program yesterday and picked up two great id kits. They were $20 each, but well worth it. You get two id cards (in one kit) one for the child and one for the parent. On it is a photo of your child, their dob, hgt, wgt, eye and hair color, and sex. On the back you can list 3 emergency contact numbers (home, work, cell) and by signing the card, you give your consent to treat the child in an emergency. You also get a disk with all the info on it, and you can purchase other items (cards, breakaway necklace, other kits, etc). In an emergency, its a no brainer to pull out the card and hand it to the police. The child can take the card to school, on trips, to grandmas, etc and should he need medical care, its covered. The best part is they will update the cards for free until the child is 18. For young kids, they recommend updating every 6 months, and for older kids every year. You can find them at kidzidz.com if anyone is interested.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Children 16 and up must have a photo ID and birth certficate. Under 16, you only need a birth certificate. However, a passport is ALWAYS the best way to go.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:22 AM
crazymom

Thank you both very much, you've been a great help.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thing has changed for the 16 and younger needing a picture ID. In February I was told if I didn't have a picture ID for my 7 year old she would have to be taken into another room with only cruise line employees and answer questions. Then I remembered that I had a baseball card from with her picture and name on it and they said that works it's a picture ID. We have sailed before on the same cruise line and it was never a problem before. Now, I'm just going to get her a passport.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Photo I.D.'s for kids

What cruise line were you on? I have never heard of a 7 year old needing photo ID and then being questioned. I have cruised twice with my kids and that sure did not happen.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Passenger

Hi I just got my 11 year old his photo ID. I had to go to the Drivers Lisence place to do it.
I wish they had another office to do it at. It took us a two hour wait and also paid $20 dollars for it.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Luisa

I think rather than wait 2 hours and still have to pay $$$ for the photo ID, I highly recommend a passport instead. That way, you're covered for any travel scenario.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor