Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Joanna

Default toddler early bedtime???

I'd like to take a cruise on Carnival with a 27 month old. Her bedtime is 7pm...how does that work on a cruise?? Would the grandparents be able to get an adjoining room and have a baby monitor so my hubby and I can do things at night? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: toddler early bedtime???

I would book 2 rooms with a door in between so your parents/in-laws can be right there with your child, while still enjoying their room (sometimes the terminology gets mixed up--adjoining/connecting rooms.....you don't want to end up with 2 rooms that are simply next to each other). Connecting rooms are limited and do sell out early.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Yeoman

My now 3 yr old has been cruising since he was almost a yr old (3 cruises so far). His bedtimes vary but were later than 7 (usually 9 ish or so unless hes tired and then will crash on his own). We always took the first seating for dinner (630 on RCI) and it usually tooks us an hour or more to eat, depending on the waiter (most were good and got us out of there as fast as we wanted). So dinner time alone might wipe out your 7pm bedtime unless you eat somewhere else. Another thing to keep in mind are time changes. I dont know where you live or where you are cruising, but time changes can be an issue as well. We live on the east coast and cruise from here so its not much of an issue except in a few ports one or two nights. If it is a problem for you, you might want to try adjusting your childs schedule several weeks before travelling (ie each night, adjust her bedtime by 15 minutes or so).

I will say that between the fresh sea air, sun, and activites, our son was wiped out by the end of the day. We did get him to take naps whether it be in his stroller while walking around port, or back in our cabin (we get a balcony cabin too which is nice since he can sleep and we can sit out on the balcony and talk, etc). After dinner, we would take him to the shows as long as they were the flashy muscial ones. He often fell asleep and we would end up carrying him back to the cabin. If not, we let him walk around to burn off some energy and then as soon as his head hit the pillow he was out.

It is nice to have the grandparents along. My dad and brother usually join us, but weve only lucked out with an adjoining room once. If you can get one, do it as it is nice to have if they will be watching your child. If worse comes to worse, next door wouldnt be bad. As far as a monitor, I dont know how well it would work on board with all that metal, etc. Plus you may pick up signals from other cruiser's walkie talkies. If youve got room to bring it, try it out. Keep in mind also that the walkie talkies may be able to pick up what youre saying in the room too!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Joanna

Thank you!!