Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM
mary228

Default holiday sailings - Ryndam, Grandeur of the Seas, Sun Princes

I need help deciding betw these ships for a family of 5 - kids ages 18, 10 and 8.

These are my impressions based on several reviews I have read, my own experiences and conversations with my longtime cruise agent. We've cruised once each year for the last five on Celebrity, Princess and RCL.

Ryndam and Sun Princess are 10 day itineraries so I LOVE that, but the Ryndam is a Holland America ship, which tends to have an older crowd who frown on children (as if they never had any themselves!).

There are not as many activities (at least fun, high energy activities) on Princess and Holland America as the RCL ships.

Thirdly, if you want to go on a shore excursion w/o your kids, you can only leave them on RCL, which offers kids club in port (no extra $$).

Any advice? Anyone sailed on these with a family recently?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Luisa Frey Gaynor

Default Re: holiday sailings - Ryndam, Grandeur of the Seas, Sun Pri

Princess offers their kids club on port days too. I'm planning to do a family holiday cruises article that will appear late in June/early July.
Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Emm

Your 18 year old would prefer Royal Caribbean where he will be treated as a young adult. We've taken the Grandeur twice, and my kids loved it. I don't think you can go wrong. I would guess that 10 day itineraries have fewer kids on board -- but I guess it depends on the "when" .

We've split up shore excursions when taking our 5 kids along -- Dad would do something adventurous with the older kids, while I would do a beach or something with the younger ones. Once my 11 year old decided her idea of fun was to stay on board and read by the pool.
Old July 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM
3boys4me

We did the Mexican Riviera this past March over spring break on the Holland America Ryndam with kids ages 15, 11 and 8 - we all had a great time. I guess even Holland America tends to have more kids on board during school holidays!