Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Professor

Default Large family

My wife and I took our four grown children, their mates and 14 grandchildren on Carnival Elation to Mexico and later to the Caribbean on the Carnival Inspiration. Kids were two to nineteen. Since these are sister ships, the second cruise was a bit easier, however, the parents (and grandparents) didn't take long to feel that most of the kids, even relatively younger ones , were able to function in pairs, etc very well and with very little supervision. Kids camp was enjoyed mostly by the younger ones. Pre-teens weren't as happy. Kids ate a ton of pizza because it was open 24 hours. Soft ice cream also. Did go to the dining hall some and enjoyed it, mostly when the waiters danced and sang. All in all, I recommend them for kids.
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Luisa Frey Gaynor

Default Re: Large family

Thanks for the details. THey're always helpful to fellow family cruisers.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Large family

What were the ages of the children that enjoyed the Camp on the Elation? We are going December 4th with our 2 (almost 3)year old and 6(almost 7) year old. Did the kids go to the dining room in the evening or eat at the Camp? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Old May 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Professor

We had 18 month up to 19 years. We did have two six year olds. The 2 year old, obviously, will not "enjoy" the ship as much as the 6 year old. Not having family companions about the same age will also be a factor for the sixer. Six year old will enjoy the kids camp if he/she isn't overly shy. Because my kids did have companions, they ate a ton at the 24 hour pizza place. They did go to the dining room on several occasions, which they did enjoy. There, they can get hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken strips, etc which are not on the "adult" menu. There is also a hamburger/hot-dog "stand" where they ate occasionally. Depending on their personalities (shy, outgoing, etc.) they could have a ball. Some of mine loved kids camp.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Luisa Frey Gaynor

We just went on our second Carnival cruise and my three year old loved Camp Carnival. My almost 12-year-old wasn't as enthused about the program as she was when she was about six years old (on our last Carnival cruise). I'm not sure if it's just the pre-teen age or if Carnival needs to vary its activities a bit to this harder to please age group.
Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM
cali-croozer

Luisa.........I think it just depends on the child. My kids loved Camp at ages 11 and 13. The second time they sailed, ages 13 and 15, the 13 year old still participated, just not as much. At the time, there really wasn't much for the 15 year old, as far as planned activities, but he still had a great time playing ping pong, etc. This year, they are 15 and 17 (see a trend--), and are looking forward to meeting friends at Club02. Now that's a picky group too. I have read comments where "there was nothing for my teen to do and they thought they were too cool for the activities" to "my teen met so many people and hung out at Club02 the entire time".

PS......they were never in the same age group and I stressed the importance of participating in the activities and making friends so they would have a fun vacation. It took a little "push", but once they went to their first event and made friends, they were set for the week!