Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Beginner

Default 5 month old twins?

we will be sailing on carnival victory in november with 5 mo old twins...
looking for any encouragement/advice, specific questions:
double snap n go stroller (with carseats), or side by side? i am thinking having the car seats (they can sleep, eat, etc. in them) will be more convenient (by the pool, etc)..and the snap n go is long and narrow. In port, we will use baby carriers and a lightweight pack n play for the beach?
do i "check" carseats at the airport?
can someone clarify babysitting on carnival victory...i have heard they will do group babysitting for children, starting at 4 mos..is this true or false?
any other tips/suggestions? i have read all of the "baby" articles, they have been very helpful.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 5 month old twins?

the side-by-side stroller is too wide to fit down the corridors. A tandem type would be much better. Baby carriers(baby backpacks) are the best for shore excursions.
Streamline as much as you can, as space is very limited.
You will need to bring enough diapers for the entire cruise unless you want to hunt down a store on the islands and buy more.
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:07 PM
rhonda dean

Default Re: Re: 5 month old twins?

Well, I now have 6 year old twin girls, and they will be going with us on their first cruise in october, as well as their 9 year old brother. I have cruised three times in the past without them, so this will be a new thing for me too! I have had the experience of having 5 month old twins, and maybe i can give you some insight. I take it that your twins have just been born? What if you you and hubby each take a small stroller that lies down, and you each take care of a baby? The car seats will get pretty heavy with a five month old etc... What I use to do was feed them in their stroller. Now eating in the dinning room, you could purchase the little seats that hook onto tables! Little tiny high chairs that hook onto the table. Or, what I did was purchase two booster seat high chairs. they are really small, and you strap them onto the chair, and they have their own little tray attached. When people would invite us over for dinner etc.. I would take those with me, and it was a make shift high chair. In some cases, I would put a little plastic mat on the floor and put the booster seats on the mat. If the babies are a little too small, you can put a blanket around their little bodies. I am sure, if you give the waiters a little cash tip every night, they will go out of their way to help you get the seats set up, before the other guests arrive. My babies never liked the carrying pouches (go figure) But I would do this. each take your individual stroller that reclines, and put the pouch in the diaper bag(suggest a back pack diaper bag) or put it in the back of the stroller. this way when they get tired off shore, you can find shade, feed them, recline then, and put them to sleep for a nap. Whenever hubby and i would travel, and space was small, we would take two strollers. The double stroller was my life line, since my husband works nigthts as a musician, and i work days as a hairdresser. So a lot of times, i was alone with all three kids!!!!!!!! anymore twin questions, just send me a note. I don't know about babysitting? But that would solve dinner dinning problems. Heck, you can have lunch on the lido deck with the kids hanging out in their strollers.

Rhonda
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
sueinphilly@yahoo.com

Default Re: Re: Re: 5 month old twins?

Babysitting is NOT available during dinner time, It is ONLY on port days during the morning or until 6pm if the port stop is in the afternoon and then from 10pm-3am. And it cannot be done in your cabin

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Cam...bysitting.aspx

Is there babysitting on board?

Babysitting is available every evening from 10:00pm to 3:00am in the children's playroom for children 4 months of age to 11 years of age.

Babysitting is not available during Camp Carnival's scheduled activities, which run from approximately 9:00am to 10:00pm daily.

In addition to the evening babysitting, for infants under the age of 2, babysitting is available on port day mornings from 8:00am to 12:00 noon; if the ship arrives later in the day, babysitting is available in the afternoon until 6:00pm.

Babysitting is done on an advance sign-up basis with the Youth Staff. This is done to ensure that enough staff are scheduled to provide this service.

All babysitting is done in the children's playroom, with a "slumber party" type atmosphere. Movies and cartoons are shown. Pillows, blankets, and cribs are provided.

It is against company policy to provide babysitting in the guest's stateroom.

Babysitting is provided for children 11 years of age and younger. It is not mandatory for infants or toddlers to be potty-trained in order to avail themselves of the babysitting services. Parents must provide the youth counselors with diapers and toiletries to be used for their child.

Babysitting fees are due upon pick-up and paid directly to the Youth Staff on duty. Payment must be made with the Sail and Sign Card; cash is not an acceptable form of payment.

$6.00 per hour for the first child in the family

$4.00 per hour for each additional child in the same immediate family
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Luisa

Yes, per the above, the babysitting hours are very limited. At least it's something...
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
P.S. I see you read the baby articles... I strongly suggest packing diapers, etc. in a huge cardboard box that you can then through away (ask your steward) once on board...
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: 5 month old twins?

how do you " carry" box of diapers, etc...through airport, etc..is there some sort of box with a handle of some sort, that may make it easier?
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Luisa Frey Gaynor

No, we just took a regular big box and put it on a luggage cart and then checked it in. We put a label on it with our name and gave it to the porters on the dock to bring to our room. After we emptied it, we asked our steward to discard it.
Best,
Luisa