Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM
babiesrus

Default help!!! (baby@shore excursions)

hi we r going to the bahamas with our 8 month old baby -NCL DAWN
we have already booked 3 excursions(brevard zoo, swim with the dolphins, and sea &see)the question is....is it safe to bring our baby to any of these activities? would it be better if we do this on our own w/out booking with ncl?

help us!!!!

o yes...what kind of PJ is appropriate? (air condition could be too cold for the baby)
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: help!!! (baby@shore excursions)

We started cruising when our son was 11 mos and will be taking our then 5 mos old this next trip. We skip excursions as its too much for little ones in my opinion. I would hate to be "trapped" on a bus or somewhere that I couldnt catch a cab back to the ship if I needed to. Also keep in mind, the Caribbean sun is very strong and the humidity doesnt let up-both which could be very dangerous for a little one. What we normally do is walk around port/shop, then head back to the ship for lunch, and on to the beach for a few hours at most (or reverse the order to avoid the heat of the afternoon). If one of us wants to do a tour, we have no problem splitting up for a few hours.

As for the dolphin swim-how will you work that out? Will both of you be swimming-who will stay with the baby since the baby wont be allowed in the water with the dolphins. The zoo should be fine-just rememer to keep the baby cool and covered up (a stroller fan would be a good idea, as well as a hat and sunscreen). Again with the sea and see-if youre going to be snorkeling, who will stay with the baby? And is there a covered area (if on a boat or beach) to stay under?

PJs-you can regulate the temp in your cabin. I would dress the baby the same as you would at home in the summer, but also bring along a sweater and blanket to use if the ac is too much in the dining room and other areas.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:35 AM
babiesrus

tank you for your sweet advice alison.
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:39 AM
babiesrus

Default Re: Re: help!!! (baby@shore excursions)

oopsie.......thank......not tank.....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Luisa

I agree that the less formal excursions with a baby, the better. WE often hopped in a cab to go to the beach when our son was a baby/toddler for all the reasons Allison named above. While the zoo should be fine, why don't you and your spouse split up and one day he goes on a shore excursion and you stay w/the baby on the ship and another day you go on an excursion and he stays on the ship or strolling the baby around the port area? I think you might be wasting your money by trying to all go to all of the above excursions.

You may want to read Bringing the Baby article I wrote on the main home page of the family section on cruising with babies and toddlers.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:38 PM
babiesrus

thank you Luisa.......by the way i like your name.....