Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Default Airport Transfer To/From Ship w/out a carseat? Suggestions?

We will be arriving @ 12pm for a 5pm ship departure. We want to board asap so my 16 m.o. can have a nap. We are considering NOT taking his carseat on the flight/cruise b/c the carseats we have are huge (Britax Marathon) and not easy to cart around/store. So how can we secure our son during the transfer from the airport to the ship? Can you request a carseat? Do taxi services have carseats available?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

No car seats will be available in a taxi, other than your own. It's a tough decision to make. If you do take a car seat with you, we usually ask our room steward to store the car seat in his storage area for the week. If you take a bus transfer from the airport to port (one that's sold through the cruise line), you usually don't have seat belts on the bus to strap in the car seat anyway.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Admiral

for safety reasons your should have your carseat on the airplane.
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Captain

This is just a suggestion but my husband and I picked up a booster style carseat with the five point harness at Walmart just for this situation. The last time I checked they were about $40 but they were very light and ours actually stood in our closet on our last cruise. It is a great seat for zipping around on airlines and like Lisa I really believe that on a plane a carseat really is best. The one we have even has a handle on the side that makes it so that you can carry the seat and a child at the same time if necessary. Good Luck! The cruise will be worth all the effort of lugging tonnes of baby accessories : )
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Beginner

Just back from Alaska cruise with 19 month old son. No carseats, sorry. We parked at Toronto airport and took "park and fly" shuttle bus 5 mins to airport. - no carseat.
Once arrived in Vancouver, the cruiseline sent a taxi for us. Others took buses (depending on how many cruisers arrived on your flight). Again, no carseats.
Leaving ship, took bus 1 HOUR to Anchorage airport and again, no carseats.
I guess taxis and buses are not legally required to provide carseats so they are not provided.
If you are arriving and leaving from the same airport you could probably store at the airport. I think there is a place for that. However, in our case we were arriving in Vancouver but leaving from Anchorage. The cabins are too small as it is so I don't recommend trying to store a carseat for a week.
The only recommendation I STRONGLY suggest is bringing an umbrella stroller. Our son would fall asleep at 9pm in the stroller and we would just wheel him around to whatever entertainment we wanted to go to. We even went in the hot tub one night at 1:00am and had him sitting beside us in the stroller. It was great !
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Yeoman

We always leave the car seat at home (unless renting a car on the other end). I know, not good on the plane, but that would be the only time we would use it on a cruise since we arent going to lug it around ports, etc. We usually get the bus transfer to the ship through the cruise line, and they never have seatbelts. I held my son in my lap (on the plane, in the bus and cabs) and we havent had any problems (knock on wood). Hes now old enough to sit in his own plane seat without a car seat. I will be doing the same with our then 5 mos old when we travel again.

They do make something called Baby B'air. Skip it as its a waste of money in my opinion. You cant use it during take off and landing either. You can only hold your child then. I am using a Hotsling nowadays which I love, and plan to use it during the inflight portion of our trip.

alison
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Admiral

your cabin steward will store your car seat for you for the duration of your cruise, so that is a non-issue.
Please, please, please, restrain your baby in a carseat on the airplane.
The stats on infants that get hurt when there is turbulance on a flight if they are not properly restrained is staggering. There have even been some deaths.
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Passenger

Default DONT BRING CAR SEAT!!

Hi there,
SIMPLE SOLUTION to your question.
LEAVE car seat home, cruise ships provide transportation pick up from airport to cruise ship and return on nice air-conditioned buses. NO car seat needed. usually $30.00 round trip per adult.
You can get transfers from cruise line, your travel agent or get when you arrive at airport.
Why lug a baby car seat around, you cant use it in the ports most taxis do not have seat belts.