Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Default Family of 5

Does anyone know if any of the cruise lines allow 2 adults and 3 children in a standard (non suite) room? I am interested to see what other families of 5 have done to cruise with the kids without spending a fortune. So far the best option for family travel looks like Casta cruise's kids free program. But we would still need two rooms if only 4 are allowed in a room. And looking at the bad reviews for Costa is a liitle concerning.
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Beginner

take advantage of the specials that you can find on-line and get a Suite
Everyone involved will be much happier if you have the extra room.
I have heard that some of the rooms look like oversized closets.
It scared me enough to spend the extra money and get a Penthouse..
I look at it this way, I have 2 teens going with us and my son is 6'2" he needs his own bed and getting 2 rooms seemed stupid, so we saved a little bit more, found the best deals, and now we have the Penthouse with 330 Sq. Ft. Good luck!
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I believe that Carnival does allow 5 people in their Inside Staterooms. Their staterooms are substantially larger than other cruise lines. We are going on Royal Caribbean in November and since their rooms are smaller, I opted to book two connecting staterooms, which ended up being very cost effective, only about $150 more than if I had booked a quad. You didn't mention your kids ages, but Carnival has a wonderful kids program and no one gets short changed.
I haven't cruised Royal yet, but from what I hear they are similar to Carnival in many ways, at least from the aspect of family cruising, except Carnival will accept children as young two, potty trained or not, as opposed to Royal which accepts kids 3 and up, only potty trained.
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Admiral

most cruise lines do not have regular staterooms to accomodate 5. Carnival is the exception.
Your other options: Family Stateroom
Mini-Suite - sometimes it is cheaper to book a mini-suite as opposed to 2 rooms.
Book 2 rooms - its nice to have that extra space and that second bathroom.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Passenger

I don't know the ages of your kids, but that would influence my decision. As stated above, Carnival does allow 5 people to a room. The only drawback is - only certain ships allow this. We looked into this before booking our cruise. So you can call Carnival and ask which ships allow this and then you can see when and where they are going and make an informed decision.
Hope this helps!
[/b]
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for the advice. The kids are all small (ages four to eight), so a regular size hotel room with a cot has always worked out well. I will follow up and check with Carnival - in the meantime if anyone knows which Carnival ships will allow 5 in a room please let me know. thanks again!
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Kiki - just so that you know, a basic stateroom is quite a bit smaller than a standard sized hotel room. A mini-suite on a ship is about the size of a basic hotel room.
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kiki..........I believe 5 people are allowed on the Fantasy Class ships (2 upper beds, 2 lower beds and 1 rollaway). They would be the Fantasy, Ectasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation and Paradise. We have sailed 4 to a room on the Inpiration and Elation.