Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Default Activities for 18 year old

We will be on the Serenade in April and my son will have turned 18 just 3 weeks before the cruise. As I understand it, he will not be able to participate in the older teen activities (15-17). I may be wrong, but I'm not sure how comfortable he will be trying to fit in with the 20 somethings on board. Any ideas for this transitional age?
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hi, This was a problem that we will face in December. This is what I have found out. If the ship does not have a full group of 15 to17 year olds, your 18 year old will probably be welcome in that age group. Tell him to go to the welcome aboard party at the beginning of the cruise. They will tell him more then. He might also meet others who are his age, who will also not be invited. Maybe they can organize something together. Remember, your son will be of legal age on the ship. He will be able to get in the adult shows. and to gamble. He will not be allowed to drink.
If you have other questions, please ask.
Have a great trip.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Admiral

We ran into this same situation with our son on our last cruise. As you probably know, most 18yr olds do not want to hang around 15 year olds.
Teens have a way of finding eachother. 9 times out of 10 they will be in the pool, playing sports or video games. He is old enough to participate in the adult games like volleyball, pool plunge, stuff like that.
Depending upon the maturity of your son, the activities are really geared towards the younger teens, our son did not participate in any of the activites, as they were "stupid and totally lame"
He should go check out the teen activites to see if -the staff will allow him to participate if he chooses and to meet other teens his own age.
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
He will be able to get in the adult shows. and to gamble. He will not be allowed to drink.
Sure he can drink. On RCI, 18-year-old passengers can buy beer and wine.

Tim
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Sorry, I was thinking of Carnival. I forget there are other cruise lines.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

You may want to have your 18 year old check out CruiseMates' teen message board to see if he can connect with others his age prior to the cruise.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:27 PM
First Mate

we took our 3 boys on Valor. (11,16,18) The youngest one had fun with all the kids activities. The middle boy had trouble getting intop the activities. They did not affer as much for his age and when I visited the teen disco it was neerly empty. My oldest just took part in ship activities as a yound adult. To my knowledge he did not drink. I saw him involved in alot of the adult games and competitions. He even commented to me that he was glad that he was 18 as it allowed him to do so much more.
I am sure he will have a blast.
Karyn
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to parrotthead

I am encountering this also...
Sailing on RCI in in July to Alaska... daughters will be (just turned) 18 and 17. Both have expressed that they want to go to the teen activites...( they want to hang out together, and have some 'planned activites' < strange I know for teen girls to want to be together, but they are very close>)...So I was also concerned if they'd both be allowed to perticipate..neither have any desire to drink , gamble, or go to the 'real clubs' (as they put it).
-Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been-
SERENADE of the SEAS -- 07-23-2006--ALASKA
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

I have a feeling you'll have to approach the lead teen counselor once on board and ask if it's okay for the girls to participate. Can't hurt asking!
Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to parrotthead

Thanks for the advice...(newbie criuser...a millions questions/concerns)
-Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been-
SERENADE of the SEAS -- 07-23-2006--ALASKA