CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Why don't cruise line staff change diapers? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/302109-why-dont-cruise-line-staff-change-diapers.html)

erdooley October 7th, 2005 03:32 PM

Why don't cruise line staff change diapers?

My parents, husband and I are taking our daughter on an Alsakan Cruise next May. Our daughter will then be 2 yrs. and 8 mos. old. Currently she is not potty trained. We are most seriously considering NCL for our trip, as they have programs for 2 yo. But I read that they give parents a beeper when diapers need changing. Why is that? I thought it was just the gross out factor, but don't they take kids to the toilet who are potty trained? I would assume they help with wiping, which can be less than pleasant. Sorry to be graphic, but just wondering. I hope our daughter will be trained by May, but who knows. It just seems like it would be difficult to do anything on port days since one of us adults would have to stay on the ship for "diaper duty."

pinkflowers October 7th, 2005 05:02 PM

Ever consider sailing with Carnival. The youth staff willing change diapers.

hannahsmum October 9th, 2005 04:30 PM

I think it has something to do with Social services,it is so you cannot accuse them of inappropiate touching, I know in my daughters school the teachers are not allowed to help them wipe. It is a sad world we live in.

LisaK October 11th, 2005 01:12 PM

i would also guess that it could be a health issue. Since the counselors are not licensed day-care providers, there could be an issue with improper disposal and cleaning??
Why not call the cruise line and ask them directly??

Lisa October 12th, 2005 01:27 AM

I believe there are numerous reasons for this - including the following: fear of litigation when a parent accuses a couselor of "abusing" their child, the fact that there may not be proper disposal facilities for dirty diapers (with other toddlers and young children around), the fact that many parents really don't want a "stranger" changing their child's diapers, etc. I personally think if someone wants to bring a non-potty trained child on board, then they need to be available to change their diapers. So, yes, that might mean that someone may need to skip a shore excursion, but then again, it was your decision to bring the non-potty trained child along. We all make sacrifices for our families....this may be one you have to make if you want to go on this particular cruise. I'm not flaming anyone, just giving a personal opinion..............

lfgaynor October 12th, 2005 10:01 AM

You all hit the nail on the head -- it's both a health issue and liability issue. I know that one nursery school in my town won't change diapers for the above reasons. So your best bet is Carnival or even Cunard Line, which does have nannies/youth counselors who change diapers.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

rsanacore November 16th, 2005 10:02 PM

We went on an NCL cruise when my son was 2 and 10 months and recently toilet trained. The ladies would take kids to the toilet and help wipe, yet they wouldn't change diapers.

LU November 24th, 2005 03:56 PM

I just wanted to add......... don't consider Princess, they don't even have a child program for kids under 3. You can go to the kids room but you must stay with your child all the time. No babysitting............ nothing ! So, if you want some type of freedom, don't go with them. Plus, they also charge full 3rd person price for infants..... not worth it when they can't participate in any of the programs and they eat like birds.

Rev22:17 November 25th, 2005 06:49 PM

LU,

don't consider Princess, they don't even have a child program for kids under 3. You can go to the kids room but you must stay with your child all the time. No babysitting............ nothing

All of the major cruise lines seem to be gravitating to that policy, probably because a lot of two- to three- year-olds either are not "potty trained" or are recently "potty trained" and still prone to "accidents" with which the staff of the childrens' programs are not prepared to deal.

BTW, a major factor is that many infants now spend a lot of time in day care centers that do NOT "potty train" the children. In the past, most children were "potty trained" by age two.

Norm.

Kuffam December 31st, 2005 10:59 AM

It's mainly a health issue, we were told in Hawaii that soiled diapers are a biohazard and if you did not answer your pager within 15 minutes, they would page the nurse who would come and do it and charge you a fee.

However I also think they avoided it for litigation and protection reasons.