Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Beginner

Default Celebrity Millenium Euro cruz w/5 Yr old-help-need info!

Hi-we are going on the Celebrity Millie criuse to Europe in May. Our travel agent said she checked and they WILL have the Kids Club open but I am going to call and check as some here have written about it being closed if not enough kids. The cruise is mid-May so I am not expecting a LOT of kids-school will be in. Has anyone gone on this cruise before and seen a decent amount of kids?. Is the age group really old? The reason we picked Celebrity is because we mostly like things quiet. We are below 40 yrs old but sorta act like old folks-hate a lot of ruckus, go to bed at a decent hour, etc. Our daughter is super shy and quiet which makes her good on a few kids to 1 counselor situation but NOT with a lot of wild kids under the care of a small staff. We will be stopping in Spain, France, Italy and Greece-Where would you suggest bringing a 5 year old. I don't want to take her on these long 10 hour tours (I probably don't want to go on them either) -Hub and me idea of fun is people watching, shopping (well, i do) taking in the culture-not necessarily visiting the 6th ancient church of the day with a big herd of people. As far as meals-can we request to be with a family of younger kids for our dinners so as not to annoy people who are there for some "no kids" time? Please any info on cruising these specific parts of Europe with a girl who could care less about the Parthenon is helpful. Even just cruising on the Millenium with a 5year old is helpful. Thanks!! oh-almost forgot-has anyone ever had any trouble with the Child care staff? Are they checked-out/qualified to be alone with children. So scary now a days-just saw a report on a Hotel Kids Camp counselor (and I believe it was a 5 star hotel like the 4 seasons or something) who would put the little girls on his lap during "late-night-movie time" and fondle them. Sick people out there!! Sad to say it, but I do NOT want my daughter alone with a teenage Male counselor who I really don't know anything about.
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Yeoman

My daughter went on a European/Med cruise with me (Royal Caribbean) when she turned 10 and loved it. There are two articles I suggest you check out on the main page of family cruising here: Can your Kids Do Europe? and also Cruising Europe with Kids. I wrote the former and my daughter wrote the latter. We didn't do many full day tours but instead opted for the bus transfer to run around Rome on our own; 1/2 day tour to Pisa rather than full day to Florence; and 1/2 day tour to one of the medieval villages in the French Riviera. Like you, we left time to shop, have dessert at a cafe, etc. Wonderful trip!
I would make sure that Celebrity will have a youth program since they only offer it seasonally and May isn't quite high season yet for family cruising. Yes, they will be more low key than others -- I think you'll like it. My 12 year old daughter has been on 21 cruises and we've never, ever had questionable behaviour from the youth counselor.
smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family
Crusie Editor