Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Default Can kids use the patch - take bonine etc?

My kids are 7 and 9. What can they take for seasickness?
Thanks much
Anni
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ann,
It could be that your kids may not even suffer from sea sickness, but to be on the safe side, I'd check with their dr. and see what he would recommend. Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Yeoman

Yes, check w/your doctor. Mine had recommended a portion of a dramamine pill for my daughter. However, I only give that as a last resort. I also carry sea bands with me (you can buy them on ship) which exert pressure on the wrists to overcome seasickness. However, if they don't work, ginger cookies, ginger ale, and ginger capsules (from a health food store) also help.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise editor
Old January 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

kids usually don't get sea sick but there are child does' of sea sick meds next to the adult meds.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeoman

Actually, kids do get seasick -- my daughter gets it much more than I do and she's cruised over 20 times! Just be prepared with child's dosages and you should be okay.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Annie -do your kids get carsick? airsick? if they do is it severe or just mild queezies? If it is severe, talk to your peditrican about the best medication. My friend's son gets severe carsickness, she used 1/2 patch for him(on the advise from her dr) and it worked wonders.
If your kids are fine while traveling, chances are they won't need anything, but just to be on the safe side, find out from your dr. what the children's dose of Bonnine is, and bring it along as a back-up.
Bring along some ginger- this works wonders for the mild queezies. Ginger snap cookies, crystalized ginger candy, Ginger-Ale also works well, just make sure that the soda contains real ginger and not just flavor.
I know that i get a bit queezy when the ship first sails, so i have a glass of ginger-ale in my hand that i sip just before sailaway, and then i have another with dinner and i am just fine. Ginger works great - but you have to get it into your system at the first sign of the queezies, when your kids tell you "Mom my tummy feels funny".
Another great preventative is starcy carbs, keep something in your stomach,- bread, rolls, crackers.