Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel - Mayan Ruins for Kids

We're taking our 8 and 11 year old boys on a cruise this fall. The 11 year old is interested in seeing the Mayan Ruins. I've read on some sites that the Shore Excursions may not be great for kids. Has anyone taken their children to the ruins? Was it worth the money and time?
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Admiral

My husband and I have done this tour. It is a long, hot day. I think your 11 year old would probably do better than the 8 year old on this one.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I didn't do it with my kids but I did talk to another couple who did. Their oldest child enjoyed it (age 14) but the younger ones (10 & 12) didn't. It was very hot when we were there and it was a long trip. Unless you're children are really into history I would find something else to do.
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Yeoman

It depends on which ruins you want to see. My brother and I rode horses around some small ones on Cozumel. Not impressive, but hey we saw ruins. Hubby and I did a company tour out of Cancun (which was required by the boss) to Chichen Itza (sp) and it was a really long, hot, and humid day. It was like a 7-8 hour tour from Cancun-most spent on a bus trying to comprehend the guides terrible English. The ruins were quite impressive though. There are some ruins along the coast and if I recall they did a tour visiting those and doing some snorkeling. That might please everyone. Also, Ive looked in Xcaret but for us it was too long of a day.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all your feedback.

I was just reading about San Gervasio in Cozumel. Looks like Disney Cruise Line has an excursion to this site. But, I don't see excursions for Royal Caribbean or Carnival to this site. Has anyone been to this site? Is it more tolerable for kids?
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Yeoman

I once went to Tulum ruins while my husband dealt with the kids for the day -- good move. I really enjoyed them but it's a long, hot day for kids. In fact, a woman passed at during our tour from the heat!

Check out the article I wrote, "Western Caribbean for Kids" on other shore excursion ideas.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Yeoman

I wanted to do the ruins with my son, who is 10, and he sort of just said Cool. I changed my mind when i read the blurb about fees for camera and i wasn't allowed to use my tri-pod for my camera. I need one, I suffer from hand shake.
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeoman

The ruins that I talked about may have been the San Gervasio ones. If so, they werent impressive like Chitzen Itza. There was no big temple type structure-just some small barely identifiable ruins. We did these on horseback too, which was fun.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Passenger

I did the Chitzen Itza mayan ruins with my husband and 3yrold daughter in september. It was a long bus ride to the ruins, the tour was neat but VERY HOT. We were able to take the umbrela stroller. My daughter tolerated it...I think your boys being they are older will do well. Just be prepared with water and hats and maybe a portable hand held fan.
kim
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Beginner

disneymom- We're doing the DCL Western that goes to Costa Maya and will see the ruins from there. I'm going with our 12 yo dd and 8 yo ds while my husband stays on board or takes our 2 yo dd to the beach. We considered doing the trip to Tulum but the time spent in travel is so long. Of course my kids are homeschooled history geeks (like me) and we'll be studying MesoAmerica next year so it's a good fit for us.

My sister-in-law went to San Gervasio with her daughter years ago when my niece was about 12 and said it was "hot, buggy, and boring". They regretted not going to the beach.

Hope this helps.