Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Default 6 month old's first cruise

Hi, we have cruised with our now 3 year old several times after his first birthday, we have never taken a baby so young though...can anyone offer suggestions or travel tips? What do you think about buying diapers/babyfood in FL at our embarkation port as opposed to taking it. We don't bottle feed, so formula/bottles won't be an issue.... also when flying we usually take very little on the plane, just a diaper bag. I planned to just use an infant carrier and check the stroller at the first airport.....I welcome all suggestions/comments except don't take the baby

Kim
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yeoman

I have an ~4 yr old (next week) son and a 6 mos old girl. We just came off Brilliance of the Seas over the holidays. It was our son's 4th cruise too (started at 11 mos). Normally my dad and brother come along, but not this trip. Dad was the baby gear hauler since he drove to the ports. This time we lugged it ourselves.

Our son is potty trained but we still brought diapers for night and long tours. He did awesome using the potty (had to for the kids club). We brought a big pack of diapers for our daughter (84 I think) for an 11 day trip and I had leftovers. Also brought a tub of wipes and an extra pack. I did have some left over. I brought along some snacks for our son (good thing as there wasnt much he liked to eat on board), and some drink mixes (like crystal light). He didnt use them though. Im nursing so no need for bottles, etc. I did bring along baby cereal for her, and a bowl with lid, spoons, and dish soap to wash the stuff. I ended up starting her on bananas on the trip-mashing them up with a fork. If you can, bring a food mill as its much easier!

As for buying stuff when you get to port-I thought about that but since we were arriving the same day we sailed and had transfers, I didnt want to waste time running around trying to buy stuff. If you arrive the day before, then it might be a better option. Dont save it until getting to a port as you will waste time and money looking for supplies, and they may not be what you normally use. I was able to pack all my kids clothes, some presents, and tolietry bag into one huge suitcase (just under the 50lbs limit). In a large duffel bag I packed the diaper, snack and eating supplies. I prayed that it arrived safely at the airport and to our cabin, which it did. On the plane, my son carried a backpack filled with his toys, games, and snacks for the ride down and back. I carried a small duffle bag with my valuables (cameras, ipod, diaper bag, extra diapers and clothes) that would at least get me through the next day if need be. We used an umbrella stroller as a luggage cart through the airport, checking it at the gate. I carried my daughter in a sling.

Be sure to pack any medicine (Tylenol, Motrin) for your older child and baby since they do not sell it on the ship. Dont forget sunscreen and hats too! We even managed to bring some beach toys for our son, and a pop up tent for the baby to use at the beach.

Have a great time and get lots of photos!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

See the article I wrote on the main page of this section, "Bringing the Baby" for suggestions on cruising with infants.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Default Bring the babe, just bring more than you think you need

We have cruised before but not with our son. We leave Sunday with our 12 month old. You have flown with your chiled before so I will skip that. We took him to Yellowstone last September and I did wait to get jarred food until we arrived - if you are flying down a day prior to your cruise you will have time to get to a grocery store to get supplies. The tops for our list are: sunscreen, more diapers than we need, hats, infant medication, many wipes (will use to clean up at meals, not just for diapers), two-way radios for mom and dad, our own fitted pack and play sheets, baby bath soap, toys, books, lightweight stroller, outlet covers, a night light, additional shade thing for the stroller (from One Step Ahead). We are not booking shore excursions on this cruise, and only plan to spend the morning in ports. We will to wander around Key West and have lunch, go to Chaukanaub in Cozumel, and go to a Caye that I cannot remember the name of in Belize. We will be flexible with meals and may miss one or two nights in the dining room but that is OK. Enjoy your trip!

Voyager of the Seas March 2000
Adventure of the Seas March 2002
Navigator of the Seas March 2003
Serenade of the Seas March 2004
Enchantment of the Seas January 2006