Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Passenger

Default Walkie Talkies aboard Carnival

Does anyone know which kind of walkie talkies work the best if I wanted to bring my own on board instead of renting Carnivals on board? What do they charge for rentals anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Ours work great. We have COBRA with a 5 mile range. If you buy them make sure you get the ones with lots of subchannels. You'll find there are quite a few people on board with them and you don't want to be on the same channel as someone else. I don't know how much the rentals are. Maybe someone else has the answer to that.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Admiral

i agree with Darcy, the ones with sub-channels are the only ones to have on a cruise ship.
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Admiral

You didn't mention what ship you'll be on, but I thought I'd mention that on our Liberty cruise we brought walkie talkies, but ended up not needing them. When we signed our kids up for Camp Carnival they gave us a very nice (tres expensive)wireless Cisco IP phone and that way if they needed to reach you while you were on the ship they could simply call you. This phone was great, if d/h had it, all I had to do was call him from any house phone on the ship. We could call the purser, or make spa/dining reservations without having to return to the cabin. We never did take the walkie talkies out of the suitcase. It was nice to have!
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Yeoman

You'd have to check specifically for each ship since most cruise lines/ships don't have the aforementioned phone. We bought our own walkie talkies years ago and just bring them each time -- cheaper that way.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise editor
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cisco IP Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
You didn't mention what ship you'll be on, but I thought I'd mention that on our Liberty cruise we brought walkie talkies, but ended up not needing them. When we signed our kids up for Camp Carnival they gave us a very nice (tres expensive)wireless Cisco IP phone and that way if they needed to reach you while you were on the ship they could simply call you. This phone was great, if d/h had it, all I had to do was call him from any house phone on the ship. We could call the purser, or make spa/dining reservations without having to return to the cabin. We never did take the walkie talkies out of the suitcase. It was nice to have!
Thank you beenie weenie! I am going on the ship Liberty also. Did the Cisco IP phone cost you anything to rent on the ship for the week? And, how did you like the ship anyway? Did you go to the supper club? Am interested to hear how it was.
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Admiral

The IP phone is issued by Camp Carnival at no charge. My kids are 3 and 5 and all the parents of the younger kids got them (I am not sure what the age cut off is for the phones).
The ship was nice. Camp Carnival was the best! I absolutely loved Harry's the supper club and it was one of the best meals I ever had. We really enjoyed marvelous service there as well. I strongly encourage you to make reservations for after 7:00 p.m. so you can take the kids to Camp while you enjoy a relaxing intimate dinner.
We found our first night in the Golden Olympian Dining room to be less than family friendly. We had a horrible woman waiting on us that was very unpleasant and very unaccomodating with regard to the children. So I endured it for that first night and asked the Maitre'D to please change our seating and explained our service issues. So things in the dining room went smoothly from then on. I found the lines in the buffet to be frustrating with trying to gather food for myself, d/h and two kids, since d/h would sit with the kids while I foraged. I think it would have been much easier if we had eaten breakfast and lunch in the dining room instead. But even the pizza, deli and grill where they had burgers and hot dogs had lots of lines. So unless you want fish and chips the lines seem inevitable, be prepared.
I hope that John heald will be the CD on your cruise, he is hysterically funny, don't miss him if you get the chance to see him.
You'll have a great time and if something isn't to your liking, mention it, and they'll usually bend over backwards to remedy a problem. Also the spa services are terrific... I tried a little bit of everything, and it was wonderful!
Oh one more thing. Embarkation in Ft. Laudedale on the Liberty is an absolute horror. Make sure you get to the port early, like 10:30 or 11:00. Luckily we had arrived on The Enchantment of the Seas that morning and just hung out on the Lido deck and about 10:00 we got off the Enchantment and hopped over to the terminal to get on the Liberty We waited about an hour inside the terminal and were eating lunch by about 11:30 I think. Friends of ours who arrived a little later told me what they went through was awful, hours standing in a line out in the hot sun with nothing to drink. They had to call ambulances for people who succumbed to the heat. Little children were roasting.
I am hoping that they will get their act together and they can resolve whatever the issue is. But until then go early.
All things considered the good outweighed the bad and I'd do it all again.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

I have a question. If your teens are roaming the ship on sea days where do they put all the stuff like the walkie talkie, room key maybe their fountain card?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yeoman

I buy my daughter a lanyard (sometimes you can buy them on board, sometimes not) and she hangs her room/key card on that. Just ask the purser's desk to hole punch the key card for you.
Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor