Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default traveling with a 15 month old

We will be on carnival in october with our 15 month old (who by the way is what happened on our last cruise ) I was just wanting to know what anyone could tell me about the life jackets. Will the one we bring for her be used during the muster drill? I just didn't know. Thanks soooo much!
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

No you will use the ships life vest for children which your room steward will provide.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

thank you!!
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Passenger

You said your bringing one..... I'll be taking an 8 month old does the cruise line usually have jackets for infants or should I take one too?
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know, I just asumed that we would need to take our own for any swimming we might do at a beach. It is my understanding that she will not be allowed in the pool on the ship, if she is not potty trained, which is fine, understand that.
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Passenger

I would suggest bringing your own for use at the beach and in case of a true emergency aboard ship. From my experience on 2 Carnival cruises with my young nieces, getting them to say they'll bring you an infant life vest is easy, but getting them to actually bring it is next to impossible.

Now if you have her wear your own at the muster drill, you will probably be stopped by a crew member who tells you that she must wear a ship provided life vest. They will tell you to talk to your room steward to get one. Thus starts the never ending rounds of buck passing and false promises in the pursuit of this elusive infant life jacket. Talk to your room steward and you will likely be told to go to the purser's desk. Go to the purser's desk and you will likely be told to talk to your room steward. Show any signs of frustration and you can expect to be placated with false promises that it will be in your cabin within the hour or that a supervisor will contact you. All hope is not lost, though. If you're persistant enough, you may actually receive one on the next to last day of the cruise, as we did. Just hope the ship doesn't sink before then.

As I said, you would probably be better off just bringing your own in case of a true emergency. Just make sure it's a good one.
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Wow CAsailor thanks for the heads up! We have good lifejackets from infant on up I also have a 3 year old will the jackets they have work for him or should I bring one for him too?
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeoman

My son now 4 has cruised since 11 mos old, and we just cruised with our 6 mos old daughter. We bring our own lifejackets for the kids to wear at the beach, and for added comfort you can bring them on any water tours that you do (I dont want to find out at the last minute that the boat we're on doesnt have infant sized jackets)! On board, your children must wear the ship's lifejackets. Be sure when you get to your cabin that you have a child/infant sized one. If not, get your cabin attendant to get them for you. Also, you are not allowed to take the ship's life jackets off for the beach. Who would want to as theyre so bulky anyways!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal