Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Beginner

Default is the late seating too late??

is the late seating too late for kids?? we are on liberty 2/18. boys 12, 10, 7. girl 5. thanks 8) 8)
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I suppose it depends on the kid, but it is definitely too late for mine as their bedtime is just about the time late seating begins. I think it would be a horrible experience for us. However, it may not be an issue for older kids. I really try to be considerate of other cruisers and realize that many people select late seating to avoid dining with young children who might be disruptive to a nice romantic dining experience, so even if I thought we might be able to pull it off, I would still opt for early seating and just not take the chance.
Now if late seating appeals to you, you could always take the kiddos to the buffet at any given time for dinner then drop them off at the kids club when it re-opens at 7:00 in evening to party while you and your significant other share a relaxing dinner together. D/H and I have done this on an evening when we have opted to eat at the Harry's and Chop's and it worked out beautifully. Since you will be on the Liberty I highly recommend Harry's. I loved it!
The kids club on Liberty is absolutely marvelous too, and the staff is wonderful with the kids. I wanted to take them all home with us and adopt them.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

how old are your kids? Late seating is fine for teenagers, you really don't see any really young kids at late seating.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Beginner

the kids are 12b ,10b, 7b, 5g. thanks
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Late seating on Carnival will begin between 8 and 8:30 PM, in most cases meaning your first course won't arrive until close to 9 PM, and the earliest you're likely to be finished is 10 PM.

In my view, much too late for 5, or 7 year olds.

Plus, most of the evening children's programs begin after early dining, so your kids will miss most of the eveing actvities.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Yeoman

What some parents do when they have second seating is to take the kids to the buffet dinner, then put them in the club while they enjoy dinner and a show. It all depends if you want to eat as a family.

For us, we tried 2nd once (before kids) and have never done it again. We normally eat early so its too late for us. We would grab something at the buffet then would either not be hungry by the late dinner time, or overeat. Many people like 2nd because they dont feel like they have to rush back from shore and get dressed for early seating (course you could always go to the buffet then), and they dont feel that theyre being rushed through their meal to make room for the later seating guests.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Yeoman

If you have late seating, go right to the matre d' as soon as you board (usually in the main dining room on embarkation afternoon) and request first seating. You won't be done with dinner until at least 10 p.m. which was always too late for my kids -- plus they miss a lot of fun kids' activities in the youth program.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

We're doing late. My son (10) would rather buffet it most nights and do the kids evening activities. For those few night he will join us, 8 is our usual supper hour - so no problem.

We did the early supper last time and it was too much rush, rush or just too early for our liking.
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We take the early seating when we cruise with the kids. They love eatingin the dining room and we found after our first cruise with them that the late seating was just much too late for them. If you can't change it, make sure they get a snack late in the afternoon and a nap for the younger ones.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kimxotennis

i hate the late seating. it stunk and i found i only ate in the main dining room once for that reason. its very easy to change, id try for a change