Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Default non-potty trained kids on a cruise

I'm trying to find out about the swimming policy with Carnival Cruises. I know that they have a kids club starting at 2 years old but they also state that kids that are not potty trained and/or in swim diapers cannot swim in the pools. We are looking into a cruise at the end of August, at which point my kids will be 4 years old (potty trained) and 2 1/2 years old (probably not trained by then). How strictly do they adhere to this policy-can I bring my little one into the pool if she has one of those bathing suits with the "diaper" part built in? Or are there "diaper police" who'll kick us out? Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The swim diapers are prohibited in the pools. If a staff member happened to be out of sight, I wouldn't at all be surprised if passengers seeing a child in a swim diaper said something to you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Admiral

As I see it, you have a couple of remedies to this issue. If you want the 2.5 year old to be able to use a pool on the ship. You can do some speed potty training or buy a small inflatable pool that you can fill with water and allow the little one to splash in it.
If you want to try the potty training, I hope you don't mind if I suggest a method I used with both of my kids and it didn't take very long at all and they were both potty trained fairly easily at 2 years old. If you go to drphil.com look up his technique. It is a fun non-stressful way to train kids. I am not a huge fan of Dr. Phil but he knows how to potty train lol!
Let us know what you decide to do...
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Beginner

thanks! I'm not big on Dr. Phil myself (being a mental health professional myself!) but I will check it out (since it took just about forever to get our older one trained!) I'm still not sure about a cruise this year (it might be better for us to wait until next year), but I appreciate the feedback.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Oh Karen, I hope you reconsider. My kids were 2 and 4 when we took our first cruise. Honestly it was a wonderful experience, Also, another thing to think about is how much time the kids will actually want to spend in the water at all anyway. If by chance you are going on a Carnival Cruise, the older ships like the Sensation have nice large kid pools. While a newer ship like the Liberty has a kid pool about the size of a postage stamp. The reason I even mention this is to say that my kids never had any desire to set foot in the kids pool on the Liberty since there was only room for 4-5 kids anyway. The would have much rather spent their time in port with us or going to Camp Carnival. Most ports you land at you will be able to find a beach where you can take the kids, or a resort that offers a day pass. I certainly would not allow the pool issue to be a deal breaker for taking what could be an excellent family vacation. I have never been able to find a better way to take a vacation with small children where no one gets short changed. The parents get to have some nice quiet alone time. The kids get spoiled rotten by the youth staff (on our Liberty cruise it took dd weeks to figure out how to walk again (she wanted to be carried everywhere) since her favorite Camp counselor was constantly carrying her anywhere her little heart desired. She still talks about how much she loved Camp Carnival on the Liberty and then you all get to spend great quality family time together as well.
No one needs or deserves a vacation more than the parents of small children!!!
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Yeoman

Dont skip out on a cruise just because the kids arent potty trained! Our now 4 yr old son (who finally got potty trained for the cruise-what is it with boys!) started cruising at 11 mos. The only things he couldnt do were swim in the pools (too cold anyways), and go to the kids club (RCI-must be 3 and potty trained). He had fun just exploring the ship and people watching so it wasnt an issue, and in ports we headed to the beach and shops.

This past holiday season we took him and our 6 mos old daughter on an 11 day Panama cruise (his 4th cruise). Our son loved the kids club and it was an incentive to use the potty. We did tours (mainly easy going ones, and a beach stop) which he enjoyed. Our daughter would just sleep in my sling, making the entire cruise a breeze.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Yeoman

Actually, part of the kids' pools on Disney Cruise Line have a small area for kids who are not potty trained. The kids' pool -- called and shaped like "Mickey" -- have "ears" that have a separate filtration system. That's why Disney allows diapers in that enclosed area.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Karen
We took our daughter in sept on carnival glory, she was 2 1/2 and
not potty trained. She had more fun then we did! She LOVED camp carnival. She fussed every time we picked her up from there. She was not potty trained at the time....did get potty trained until 3yr and 3mo old.
Anyway, they aren't "strict" about the pool. We didn't spend a whole lot of time at the pool though...she wanted to go play at camp carnival most of the time. We just booked another cruise for april on the norwegion (want to try something different). She is so excited talking about "we are going on the boat again mommy"...She remembers!!!
BOOK IT!
Kim
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Beginner

Kim-
thanks for the feedback-I'm going to print out your reply and show it to my husband!!
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Admiral

IF you really want to go on a cruise book it. Don't let a little thing like potty-training stop you from enjoying a great family vacation. Play the potty-training as it goes, who knows?
Swim diapers are not allowed in the pools - its simply a health issue.
Lots of parents bring along small blow-up splash pools for their infants and toddlers.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Passenger

I wanted to take a family cruise last summer, but at the time, my daughter was 2 1/2 y.o. and not potty-trained, so we waited. We are scheduled for July 2006 on a family reunion cruise, and we are so excited. For me personally, not having use of the pool and the kid's club seemed like such a disadvantage. This summer, my daughter will be 3 1/2 and is fully potty-trained, but most of all, she's able to take advantage of all the extras. I am glad we waited -- I know we'll have such a great time! It just depends on what's important to you. I felt that those issues (esp. missing out on RCI Kid's Club) would have greatly affected the enjoyment of my trip.