Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Beginner

Default BEST STROLLER TO BRING FOR 18MO TWINS

I'll be cruising with my 18mo twins in October. I'm really not sure which stoller to bring. 2 umbrella srollers or a back/front tandem double stroller. More likely than not during the day DH and I will take turns watching the babies so we can both experience some of the activites the cruise has to offer. Anyone have any tips? What about umbrella stroler connecters?
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Yeoman

If there is such a thing as an umbrella stroller connector, I'd strongly suggest that one. The double stroller will be very large to store in your cabin while the umbrellas make more sense.
Good luck!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Though, my kids arrived one at a time, I did nanny for twins and at the time was driving a carolla. Needless to say the double that parents had did not fit. I bought two umbrella strollers for 10.00 a piece at babies r us and then got the connector. They came as a pair and I bought 2 sets so that there were 4 links total this was very stable and easy to push. I found just one set to be a little wiggly. with one set you can push the two joined handles with one hand no problem! Enjoy your trip!

Kim
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Beginner

I am planning on cruising with my 15 month old twins, and I was wondering what arrangement you made for 2 cribs in a room. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Old February 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Passenger

Default double stroller and "crib"

We just returned from our cruise with our 13 month old son, and gave up on the porta-crib after two nights - we let him sleep with us. Yeah, some people would not do this but it worked for us. Our Balcony was great, but if you have a climber lock the door.

As for the stoller, I brought my lightweigt Combi, and if you bring a double stroller bring the kind where one child sits behind the other, or you will never get down the narrow hallways to your cabin, past the other passengers, leftover room service trays, and cabin attendent's cart. A side-by-side stroller will become a handicap quickly. I am very glad that I did not bring my huge stroller, and Caleb napped just fine by the pool (in the shade) in the lightweight stroller.

Voyager of the Seas March 2000
Adventure of the Seas March 2002
Navigator of the Seas March 2003
Serenade of the Seas March 2004
Enchantment of the Seas January 2006
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Passenger

I only have experience cruising with one. BUT! The strollers that are the normal width of the "travel system" strollers, so I'd imagine the tandem stroller as well, don't fit through the cabin door ways and were hard to work around the ship. I'd go for the umbrella strollers then connect them once out of the door way...actually, I'm not sure they'll work side by side down the little hallways. Good luck with that!!! We're doing a smaller stroller this time.

Summer
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Beginner

I have a three yo and a 18 mo old- when traveling, the best possible invention I can recommend (as long as you have a helper) is the Sit and Stroll car seat/(turns into) stroller. They are about $200 a peice, but I use them all the time- you'll never have to wake up a sleeping toddler to get out of carseat and into stroller, they're great on airplanes as car seats, you can place one on top of other for storage (small, too) and you can attach a umbrella for outside excursions. There's even a small compartment to store items like extra diapers, clothing, bottle, etc. on the back of it. I couldn't recommend a better stroller option for travel and home. It's a little tough learning to get the hang of changing it from car seat to stroller and back (at first), but with a couple of practices, it's not so bad (completely easy with a helper, but do-able without). I have yet to find a connector that will work, as I tried the kind you buy at babies r us and it doesnt fit them- but maybe you can tie the two together (at seat belt holder) or something...Good luck!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Do not bring a double-wide tandem stroller. You will not make it down the corridors with other people walking, people in wheelchairs (who exactly backs up 100 feet or more to let the other pass) and the cabin stewards supply carts. An umbrella stroller that has one behind the other will be a better choice. Or maybe two single umbrella strollers - you each push one and save a lot of hassle. Even in many of the public areas you would have problems with a double wide stroller.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to h-e-a-t-h-e-r

As far as cruising, I'm a newbie, I don't know for sure. But as a mother of twins who will be 7 soon, I STRONGLY urge against side by side strollers. You can't fit through hardly anything with these. If there's a chance it will be 2 adults at a time, then the umbrellas are by far the best as far as storage & ease of use. But if you're talking about just one adult with both babies, I'd say you're going to have to bite the bullet & bring the front & back double stoller. I know it saved my life MANY times! They fold up bulkier, but are definitely worth it for navigation purposes.

~*~Heather~*~

Carnival Magic
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Beginner

Default twin strollers

I have not taken a cruise with my twins, (yet-but very soon.. ) but I have travelled with them many times. When they were in the 18 mos. old stage I could not have survived without the front/back stroller. Check to see if they make some lighter weight ones that might be easier to navigate than the kind you attach the infant car seats too. I remember wishing I would have had one of these just to have for the mall, going for walks, etc. Those twins get heavy fast!!
It would be worth the investment just for peace of mind, and having them strapped in and not going in 2 different directions!!

Good Luck!
Twins are such a blast. Our boys our 4 1/2 and it has gone so fast.
Enjoy your cruise. Try to get a massage, you deserve it.
-Maureen
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Beginner

You can actually get a side-by-side umbrella stroller with reclining seats at Toy'R'Us in Canada (and I believe that I have seen them in the US) that is about $70 (so not too expensive). It comes with simple sun-shades (nice in the sunny spots!) and it is quite a bit narrower than traditional side-by-side strollers. It will easily go through most doorways (although nothing much fits through the cabin door on a cruise ship), it is much more maneouverable than most double strollers, and it folds up quite small (important when considering how you will store the stroller in your cabin). It would certainly be narrower than two umbrellas with connectors.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Beginner

I have cruised with 18 month old twins and really found that having 2 umbrella strollers the easiest. I also brought along the connectors but rarely used them. Because my husband and I were always around them, we let them walk a lot on the ship and then off the ship we both took a stroller with them in it.
We also had 2 play pens set up in the room for them at all times. During the afternnons after their swim they liked to nap, so my husband would go back to the room and sit on the balcony and read a book. We really found the balcony at this age very helpful, even at night. The room was very tight but it all worked out wonderful!
good luck![/b]
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree - take two umbrella strollers and a set of connectors to "pop on and off" when you need them.