Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Beginner

Default would you still go?

my daughter just broke her leg and she's not quite 2 years old yet. we're scheduled to go on Navigator of the Seas 6/10. would you still go? its a cruise my inlaws have paid for and they are happily giving us the option to back out if we feel thats best for the baby. i'm just very unsure whether or not we should go. then again, i've never been on a cruise before.

she's 22 months old, can't walk in her cast at all, but can crawl. its a full leg cast. i guess i'm worried about her being overly upset about not being able to play on the sand or in the water anywhere. what else can we possibly do? and are cruise ships ok to let her crawl around in? thanks!!

christie
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

How long is she going to be in the cast for? My son was only in a cast for three weeks, then just wrapped in a bandage & sling for another two weeks (he broke his arm). I was very surprised but the pediatrician told us the kids heal much faster than adults. I would still go and just do other things besides the beach/pools. A change of environment might help keep her distracted (and you sane). Some ports have gardens, aquariums, etc. that she might enjoy, or just walking around town and seeing something different.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Yeoman

Hard call -- the change might do her good but beaches and sand will be really difficult.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Christie, they make waterproof "socks" to put over casts, so she could play on a blanket in the sand, go for a quick dip in the pool or in the ocean. Ask your doctor about that. If all else fails, a trash bag and duct tape will keep sand and some water out of her cast.
Stroller would be your best bet for getting her around. Too many people in close quarters for her to crawl around in public areas.