CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Cruise ships with the best pools (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/313683-cruise-ships-best-pools.html)

palmtreelover1 May 8th, 2006 10:02 AM

Cruise ships with the best pools

Hello all,

Any ideas on the ships with the best pools? We are looking at taking are 5 year old on a cruise and he loves the water so much. We'll probably do beach excursions but while on the boat it would be nice to have a good pool or 2. The Royal ships I have been on had ok pools but nothing too great. I know Carnival has a slide with pools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

lfgaynor May 8th, 2006 10:29 AM

We just got back from Disney Cruise Line and they have two pool options for kids -- the Mickey Mouse splash pool that my almost five year old loved as well as a bigger, deep pool for kids. Both get crowded, but most cruise line pools do get crowded on sea days. My son was tall enough for the slide that is by the Mickey pool and loved it.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

P.S. All Disney cruises also call at Castaway Cay, its private island, which is fabulous for kids for swimming. Clear, calm water with a jungle gym apparatus in the water for kids too....

kimxotennis May 8th, 2006 08:17 PM

ive been on both royal and carnival and both of their pools are small and get crowded. carnival had two pools, one of which wasn't too crowded. royal only had 1 for everyone, and 1 for just adults. the slides on the carnival dont dump into a pool, just like a little flat part of the slide.
carnival might be your be ur best bet if thats what ur basing it on,
otherwise the kids seemed to have more to do on royal c.

beenie weenie May 8th, 2006 11:27 PM

Me and my now 6 year olds favorite pools (he was 5 then) are the newly stretched Enchantment of the Seas. It has a great pool area since its renovation with a splash spot, kids pool and adult pool all together. I wish they had itinerarys that were longer than 5 days for this ship.
Our other favorite kids pool is on the NCL Spirit. Its like a small waterpark, with waterslides and playground on the back of the ship. The kids even have their own hot tub. The downside is that adults cannot play in the kids pool and use the fun stuff back there. So you can just hang out and watch the kids have fun lol. Which is great if you are a sun worshipper.
The worst pool for kids I have sailed on would be the Carnival Liberty, it is about the size of a postage stamp, however their Camp Carnival can't be beat. NCL Spirit has a great Kids program as well.

One thing to bear in mind is that the slides are only open for a few hours each day on Carnival Ships and I would not book a cruise based on whether or not the ship has a slide.

Donna May 9th, 2006 08:43 AM

I love the double pools on the Voyager class ships, along with the misters they have right by the pools.

The pictures of the Freedom class pool area for the kids looks awesome, you may want to check out that ship.

palmtreelover1 May 9th, 2006 10:07 AM

Thanks Donna. I am looking at 2 different Voyager class ships that go to the Western Caribbean. The Freedom looks awesome as well.

Shawn

lfgaynor May 9th, 2006 10:24 AM

I'll be checking out Freedom of the Seas this Saturday in NYC and can give you some details next week.
Best,
Luisa

LisaK May 9th, 2006 10:39 AM

the new Freedom of the Seas has an entire area for kids to play in the water. Its called the H20 Zone.