Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Default first cruise with 3 children

Hi I'm new and have been reading and research for days now...

I have 3 girls who are 6,9 and 12. They are not old enough to have a room of thier own and my hubby and I don't want to split up! I know some ships offer quad rooms but do any offer rooms/suites for larger families?
It seems most of the suites offer the same sleeping (max 4) just more space. I do not want to spend $10,000+ either (Disney family suite)

I really wnat to get my kids to the Caribbean and we are also looking at all inclusive resorts, but I think they would have a blast on the cruise and getting to see different ports of call etc...

We are a very active hiking/biking/swimming family so I was hoping RCCL had a option for us.

Please help, my mind is muddled and I fear carpel tunnel form allthe seraching!!!

thx.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Admiral

On most ships you can get connecting cabins, say like a triple and a double. We have chosen this option before on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas and it worked out well for d/h and I and our two kids ages 3 and 5. It was almost the same cost as a quad, but was worth paying a little extra to have a bit of privacy for d/h and I and the extra bathroom was great.
We have another cruise booked for next March on the Carnival Legend and intend to do it the same way. Carnival has some rooms that will sleep 5 but it would be tight for sure.
RCCL does offer family suites on many of their ships but they can be a bit pricey and you have to book very early since they are in high demand.
When you choose two connecting cabins the cruiseline doesn't care who occupies which room so you and d/h can sleep in one and the kids in the other You can leave the connecting door open so you know what the kiddo's are up to. The other benefit to doing this is you can choose rooms that fit your needs and budget, such as two insides, oceanviews or balconies
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Reneeva:

There are staterooms that will fit 5. It is tight, but doable. If you go to vacationstogo.com and then on that site go to Ships and Reviews you can pull up the stats by each cruise line and ship. It will give you the maximum cabin occupancy. Carnival Inspiration is one ship that does have cabins that accomodate 5.

When we took our kids on their first cruise we opted to combine a land/sea vacation just in case they didn't like cruising, got seasick, etc. We spent two days in Orlando precruise and then did a four day cruise. It worked out great!

Hope this helps.

Darcy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Beginner

thanks for the advice.

I really would like to have them in the room with us as opposed to 2 rooms even if connecting... since it's our first time I think I would feel more comfortable. But with 3 girls (1 being 12) I do see the advantages to having 2 bathrooms.

When we went to Disney 2 years ago my mother joined us and we did get adjoining rooms and it was great to have the extra bath.

(maybe I can convince my parents to go on this trip as well!!)

Any other advice is welcome. destinations and RC vs Carnival etc....

( I tend to over obsess planning trips!!)
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Mini-Suites are a great option for familes.
We had a mini-suite on the Golden Princess and it was great. Mom & Dad have a bed, there is a sofa bed and a bunk bed that comes down from the ceiling. You get extra floor space, larger bathroom, more storage space and a balcony. We found that a mini-suite was cheaper than doing a balcony & an inside cabin.
Princess is great line for families, the larger Grand Class ships are very kid friendly with great programs.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I don't think you can go wrong with either Carnival or Royal Carribean. Both are family friendly lines. My kids prefer the Western Carribean excursions (ie cave tubing in Belize, swimming with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, swimming with the sea lions in Cozumel, etc.).
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Yeoman

If you're an active family, then go for RCI. ROck walls, mini golf, ice rinks, basketball courts and now even surfing and a mini water park.
Almost TOO much to do!
smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey GAynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Beginner

yes after reading up on shore excursions etc...
I think the western route is great. Only my 12 year old get excited about shopping!!

RCCL is my first choice, hubby and 9 yr. love to rock climb. and the wall looks like it would be a fun distaction.

We are going over Thanksgiving week and know it will probably be pretty crowded, hopefully not overwhelmingly so.

thanks again for all the feedback.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Passenger

We are a family of six and will be going on RCI (all the activities are great for the kids) and are staying in a royal family suite....its not cheap but it is a great layout for families! Only problem is there are only 4 on most ships so you have to book (or wait list) asap.
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Admiral

I am cruising in 22 days on carnival to w.carib. booked the PH suite for 5 of us figuring I would need a big room. I had the same dilemma as you regarding how much space I needed. Since this is my first cruise I'll let you know how the room worked out It came to about $700pp for reference.
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would really recommend to adjoining rooms. We have done this withour kids for years - since 9 & 11. I know that your kids are a bit younger, but it works out really well for everyone and the space is greatly appreciated. The doors don't lock so it is somewhat like being in a suite but at a lower price.
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Beginner

Hi! I just found out that these mini suites that accommodate 4 have a bunk bed. This is great! Do you happen to have any photos of how they look with the bunk bed pulled out for use? You can send them to me at Linsifer@aol.com. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Mini-Suites are a great option for familes.
We had a mini-suite on the Golden Princess and it was great. Mom & Dad have a bed, there is a sofa bed and a bunk bed that comes down from the ceiling. You get extra floor space, larger bathroom, more storage space and a balcony. We found that a mini-suite was cheaper than doing a balcony & an inside cabin.
Princess is great line for families, the larger Grand Class ships are very kid friendly with great programs.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Passenger

some carnival ships accomodate 5 people ... we have done it ... not as bad as u think... now kids older and we get 2 cabins... we were on facination and imagination i think victory does too... carnival is a great cruise for families... this will be our 5th.... my kids still love it...have fun.