Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Beginner

Default Cruising the Med in '07 w/ two young children

Hello, my husband and I will be cruising for the first time with our 7 month old and 2.5 year old daughters (that's how old they'll be in June). We're looking at going on the 12 day cruise from Rome on Carnival's new Freedom ship. Is anyone else planning on sailing on this ship? Also I've read the articles and the posts here but still am nervous we are setting our selves up for an exhausting trip and wonder if it will be overwhelming. Are we better off having a land vacation? My older daughter is well traveled as we live in Belgium and travel alot and last year we did Club Med in Ibiza with no problems. She's also potty trained so that helps. The other baby isn't born yet so we will have to see. A few questions: 1. Is a normal inside cabin enough room for the four of us? 2. Are the childcare programs well staffed and fun? 3. Will there be time for hubby and I to be alone? 4. Is anyone else planning on going on this ship next year? I see it's a new itinerary for them. Thanks for the help and look forward to your replies!
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Yeoman

Europe is pretty intense for little kids but if you live in Belguim you know the drill. Carnival does have limited group babysitting for those under two years for a few hours on port mornings and late at night. Your older child can participate in the youth program. I think an inside cabin will be too tight for three plus a crib.
Personally, my daughter cruised a lot but I waited until she was 10 to cruise Europe and at that age, she loved it! But if you live in Belguim, you won't have a long flight to the ship so that helps a lot.

Good luck w/your decision!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Beginner

Thank you Luisa,
The information will be helpful. Luckily my mother-in-law and brother-in-law are going to come too so babysitting shouldn't be a problem. Do you know if Carnival offers a military discount for US military or other cruise lines that do? If they do is it worth it? Sometimes a military discount is more than what other people pay for the same service Thank you for your help and we're really excited about this cruise. We've taken our daughter all over Europe since she was four months so I think it will be ok, like you said just bring lots of stuff!

Heather
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Yeoman

Hi Heather:
Glad you have some babysitters coming too -- it really is a lovely itinerary. I don't know about military discounts -- you'll have to ask the lines directly. I thought that DisneyCruise Line might offer that -- they are cruising the Med next summer and they have a nursery for infants. May want to check them out -- they're great with kids.

Best,
Luisa