Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Beginner

Default Norovirus and Small Children?

I posed this quest in the health forum, I thought maybe I'd try here also:

My wife and I are taking my son who will be 18 months on our first cruise this November. After hearing about all of the norovirus flu-like sicknesses that seem to frequent cruise ships, I was wondering how safe it will be for my baby. As adults, my wife and I can probably get through a few days of stomach-flu like symptoms...but I worry if my son catches it with him being so young.

Anyone have any stories or tips? I'm assuming everyone just disinfects the heck out of their kids hands?
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Yeoman

We took my son on his first cruise when he was seven months old and he's just turning five and has been on seven of them. We've never had an illness issue. I am a fanatic about hand washing and I think that's good advice for everyone.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

mango - the whole Norovirus thing has gotten blown way out of proportion. The virus is nothing more than what we have always known as the common 24hr stomach bug. Your son has a better chance of catching this bug if he went to daycare than if you take him on a cruise. Actually it would be good for his immune system if he did come down with this bug, it won't make for a fun couple of days though. Use common sense, preventative hand washing, Purell hand sanitizer. this virus is found everywhere people gather in confined spaces for a long period of time- airplanes, hospitals, nursing homes, cruise ships are low on the list.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Beginner

Sounds good. Thanks for the tips guys!