CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   1st timers with kids -- dress code & other questions! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/320501-1st-timers-kids-dress-code-other-questions.html)

TexasHeather September 12th, 2006 03:33 PM

1st timers with kids -- dress code & other questions!
 
Okay, trying to be brief, but we sail on 9/18/06, on Carnival Ecstasy for Western Carribean cruise! Can't wait!!

We'll have 3 boys with us, ages 8, 5 & 1 (18mos).

Dress code for kids -- can the big boys wear dressy shorts with polos and belt for dinner on non-formal nights?? (dressy = slacks material/style but in shorts) If not, can they wear nice jeans (dark, not faded or ripped, classic style, not baggy or anything)??

Dress code for the kids for formal night -- slacks and button shirts? Do they need a tie?? Please tell me they don't need a jacket!! (do they??)

Dress for the baby -- he's 18 mos, but small, wears 12 mos. can he get by with more casual wear? Shorts & polos (maybe denim shorts though) for dinner? Formal night, does he need pants/shirt too?? Help!!

Daytime dress for kids -- I"m planning nice denim shorts and nice t-shirts (solids, or with stripes, but no slogans/characters/etc.) -- is that good for the big boys?? They'll be with us or in Camp Carnival....

Daytime dress for baby -- can he wear cute one-peice outfits? not onesies, but actual little rompers/outfits? Just during the day??

Pool and baby -- some have said bring baby pool, but others have said deck is too crowded -- how strict are the cruise lines/other guests about a baby in swim diaper + swim suit that has built in rubber pants being in the splash pool for kids??? (not in the main big pools)

Assuming they are strict, suggestions for dh & I being able to enjoy the pool if we can't take baby? He's too young for the camp carnival....are we just out of luck?? (this is going on my comment card at the end, btw; carnival does not have this policy on their website that I can find; I would have majorly reconsidered planning a cruise if dh, baby & I can't swim at all)
Thanks for any tips/advice!! I appreciate it! :D

lfgaynor September 13th, 2006 09:54 AM

Yes, kids can be more casual at dinner /formal night than adults. My 5 year old usually wears a button down shirt, nice slacks and a vest. We don't have a suit jacket for him.


Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

LisaK September 13th, 2006 11:34 AM

shorts are not allowed in the dining rooms during dinner hours
casual wear for dinner: khakis, cargo, dockers type pants with a polo, button-down short-sleeve or collared jersey, casual shoes or leather sandals. Carnival is funny about allowing jeans, some say yes, some say no.
your boys don't need to wear a jacket for formal night. A nice pair of slacks, shirt/tie and dress shoes.
daytime wear - sounds fine, the boys with be living in their bathing suits, shorts & t-shirts.
Outfits for the baby sound just fine.

TexasHeather September 13th, 2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
shorts are not allowed in the dining rooms during dinner hours
casual wear for dinner: khakis, cargo, dockers type pants with a polo, button-down short-sleeve or collared jersey, casual shoes or leather sandals. Carnival is funny about allowing jeans, some say yes, some say no.
your boys don't need to wear a jacket for formal night. A nice pair of slacks, shirt/tie and dress shoes.
daytime wear - sounds fine, the boys with be living in their bathing suits, shorts & t-shirts.
Outfits for the baby sound just fine.

thank you :)

I've been all over Carnival's website, and can't find anything that specifically forbids jeans, but they also don't suggest them. You think even on kids it would be an issue? None of our cruise docs, etc. mentions jeans yes or no.

we're buying their slacks this weekend for formal night (they've outgrown the ones they have from last fall....) and I'm trying to decide how many to buy.

maybe I'll give Carnival a call & see what they say....

LisaK September 13th, 2006 02:45 PM

Heather - one pair of dress pants & 2 shirts are all your boys will need for formal nights. A couple of pairs casual pants- cargos, dockers type pants-and the boys are all set. Personally i would leave the jeans at home, they are too hot, heavy and bulky for the sunny Caribbean, but if you want to pack a pair then once you are aboard, go seek out the Maitre D and ask him if he would allow your boys to wear nice, clean not ripped, torn or baggy jeans with a polo shirt to dinner on casual nights. The Matire D greatly appreciates the fact that you would go out of your way to ask and not just assume

gerif September 14th, 2006 05:30 PM

Assuming they are strict, suggestions for dh & I being able to enjoy the pool if we can't take baby? He's too young for the camp carnival....are we just out of luck?? (this is going on my comment card at the end, btw; carnival does not have this policy on their website that I can find; I would have majorly reconsidered planning a cruise if dh, baby & I can't swim at all)
Thanks for any tips/advice!! I appreciate it!
Quote:


The regulations are those of the CDC, not the cruiselines - and ALL cruiselines have the same rules. It only takes a bit of ecoli to totally contaminate a pool - and the youngsters would suffer most as they are most susceptible to infection. Sorry you were not aware of this prior to booking a cruise. You could get a small blow-up pool for your balcony and perhaps take turns going to the pool with DH.

TexasHeather September 14th, 2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerif
The regulations are those of the CDC, not the cruiselines - and ALL cruiselines have the same rules. It only takes a bit of ecoli to totally contaminate a pool - and the youngsters would suffer most as they are most susceptible to infection. Sorry you were not aware of this prior to booking a cruise. You could get a small blow-up pool for your balcony and perhaps take turns going to the pool with DH.

thanks. I have no problem with the guidelines themselves, I'm just perterbed that the cruise lines do not make it known prior to sending you the cruise docs once you've booked. My fault for not researching before booking, I guess.

Our next cruise will not be until after baby is potty-trained, and had I known of this regulation, I wouldn't have booked this cruise yet either. We'll make the most of it, won't let it stop us from enjoying ourselves, but my comment card at the end of the cruise will read something like "Pool restrictions for babies should be readily available on the website and prior to booking a cruise."

LisaK September 15th, 2006 11:57 AM

that is a very good point, that information should be readily available somewhere on the web site. If you booked with a TA she/he should have told you that infants were not allowed in the pools, or your PVP should have mentioned that fact to you.
I have seen parents sit on the edge of the pool with baby on their lap, and they gently drizzle baby with water just to cool baby off. Technically baby isn't in the pool, and baby has a diaper on. Have also seen the quick dunk just to get the "piggies" wet. Either way i think this would be ok?

TexasHeather September 15th, 2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
that is a very good point, that information should be readily available somewhere on the web site. If you booked with a TA she/he should have told you that infants were not allowed in the pools, or your PVP should have mentioned that fact to you.
I have seen parents sit on the edge of the pool with baby on their lap, and they gently drizzle baby with water just to cool baby off. Technically baby isn't in the pool, and baby has a diaper on. Have also seen the quick dunk just to get the "piggies" wet. Either way i think this would be ok?

good ideas -- so glad I asked here!

we're also wondering, if we let him walk in the splash pool (but his diaper is not in the water), that should be okay, you think? That's all he likes to do, anyway, is walk around and splash his hands in the water. He *hates* to sit in water.

If not, sitting on the edge with him should work great, then dh & I can still be at the pool togetehr and take turns keeping baby happy. Good idea!

You guys are all so helpful here!! :D

jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk September 21st, 2006 02:24 PM

All the advice here has been very good

honeywell January 20th, 2007 10:02 PM

Just a thought - although the outfits you described for your children will be fine. Prior to our last cruise I bought my son a kid's tuxedo for about $40, inluding shirt, tie and cummerbund. He was 5 and caused quite a sensation in his outfit (his 6 year old sister was kinda jealous!). The best part was how our family photos turned out on the formal nights - so great to see my little man in a tux! We bought several pictures and used one photo for our holiday cards.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1