Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Default Life/Swimming Vest Recommendations

We are cruising with our two kids next month - 5 yo and 14 months. I am looking for recommendations for vests to bring on board -the 5 yo is a fairly strong swimmer (we have a pool) but we are planning snorkeling trips, so I know she needs something. Is a kids snorkel vest the best thing to get, or more of the Speedo type swimming vest? Could she still snorkle with a swimming vest on? (not sure if it keeps the body vertical)

For the 14 month old - seems that the swimming type vests don't start until age 2 - so do I just go with a traditional "life vest?" Obviously we want it to have on the ship since many times the ship doesn't have vests small enough - but we also want to be able to use it in the ocean, pools in port since we can't swim in the pool on the ship, etc. Any recommendations of one that is pretty comfortable for a toddler?

It is a 2 week cruise so I really want to get the right vests.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Passenger

We've taken our daughter (age 2.5) on a cruise 2 times already and she'll be going on her 3rd in Jan. Each time the cabin stewart brought us a child life vest and during the mustard drills, she was required to have THAT vest on, not the ones we brought. Just an FYI. And they did say something to us if she had a diaper on and she was in the pool. So chances are, the vest you bring along won't get much use on board (depending on the cruiseline). We have the vest the zips up and is more like a "vest" you'd put on than a life vest. It also straps between the legs so it doesn't life up to much and it keeps it pretty good and fitted. She used this one before she was 2, the ones I've seen go a lot by weight as well.

Good luck! Have fun!
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks - I know he can't use it on board - I want it for the ports - we are taking him on a few sailing trips. And a couple of days are planning to go to hotels that have pools that will allow babies in swimmies.