Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Default Least expensive option for a family of 5?

Hi All,
I’ve been reading the boards and have seen a lot of good advice. I’m still a little confused though. I want to book a cruise for a family of five… 2 adults, and 3 girls 6, 10, and 11. I’m not really concerned about being crowded in the room because when we vacation, we spend very little time in the room. What is the least expensive way to book? Should a family suite or adjoining rooms?
Thanks.
Glen
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

you really have to do a side by side price comparison.
Sometimes it is cheaper to book a suite over two rooms, depending upon what type of rooms you choose.
Compare the pricing this way: Family Suite
Junior or Mini-Suite
2 inside staterooms
2 oceanview staterooms
1 balcony w/1 inside
1 oceanview w/1 inside
a plus to having two rooms is that you get two bathrooms.
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Passenger

I like the idea of having two bathrooms since I'll be the only male. Otherwise it will be a long wait!
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

Lisa has good advice -- it really varies per line which is the most cost effective way to go using her examples of options. We'd love to know what you find out and decide. Keep us posted pls!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know what is the least expensive, but connecting rooms are a great option
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kristina99 Send a message via MSN to Kristina99

You could always book a Carnival cruise- they allow you to squeeze 5 people in an inside room. Plus, their cabins are usually pretty cheap, and their 3rd/4th/5th guest rates are even cheaper!

Kristina

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda

we have always gone with the adjoining rooms, two bathrooms really come in handy when you're trying to get everyone thru the showers and off the boat for a port excursion first thing in the morning, also handy on the dress up nights when the girls want their hair to look just so before they'll agree to be seen in public ! : )

Make sure the girls find the kids clubs the first evening, check in and go to the meet and greet, this lets them know they're not the only kids on the cruise, and gives them friends to pal around with for the remainder of the trip.
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

We decided that it is worth the expense to get two connecting rooms. The kids fall asleep pretty early and we can throw a towel over the connecting door and pull it closed, but it can't accidentally shut. They stay on a sort of sleep schedule and we have a grown up room to hang out and watch a movie or such. Two bathrooms are a bonus, as is more closet and drawer space, but we do it for sleeping purposes mostly.

Glen - for the guys, I hear the shower in the gym is the best way to avoid the girls and get showered, dressed and ready in your own sweet time! I've heard you find a lot of dads there on formal nights!
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Passenger

There is five in our family and we booked a balcony with an adjoing state room for all of us. I will need the 2 baths as i have me my DD,s who is 18 ,and 12 and my DS is 14 they are worse then me and DH when it comes time for gettign ready for anything. We are looking forward to our cruise we are putting 3 in one room and 2 in the other i didnt know you could get discount on 3rd inthe room i will have to let my brother inlaw know as he booked the cruise for us.
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Least expensive option for a family of 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen65
Hi All,
I’ve been reading the boards and have seen a lot of good advice. I’m still a little confused though. I want to book a cruise for a family of five… 2 adults, and 3 girls 6, 10, and 11. I’m not really concerned about being crowded in the room because when we vacation, we spend very little time in the room. What is the least expensive way to book? Should a family suite or adjoining rooms?
Thanks.
Glen
Two connecting inside cabins would be the least expensive option and provide enough space for all without being too crowded. Book early as connecting cabins fill up fast on family friendly ships!