Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Default Transderm patch for kids?

Hello there - we are sailing on the Dawn on Nov. 12. One of my kids is 11 and is prone to car sickness. I have the Transderm patches for myself, my question is is there anyone out there that has used these patches for their kids? My daughter is almost 100 lbs. I want to be prepared - there is nothing worse than sea sickness! Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Yeoman

That is a question you really have to ask a doctor before you go. Pls. let us know what the doctor says.

Also, make sure you buy seabands at CVS or other drug store before you go. You wear them on your wrist and they put gentle pressure to help abate seasickness. I like them b/c they have no medicine/no side effects. However, they're not as strong as say a patch. Another more natural remedy is ginger cookies and ginger capsules to calm tummies down.

Also, Bonine and Dramamine do make children's versions. Bonine has a less drowsy effect. Try to find them b/4 you go too.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I totally agree with Luisa that is a question that you need to ask your childs doctor.
How prone to motion sickness exactly is your daughter? Does she get really sick everytime you go for a long drive? or is it occassional?
The ships have wonderful stabalizers unlike a car.
The patch is for severe motion sicknes, if that is your daughter then by all means consider it for her, but if not, i would try alternative methods,whichever way you choose to go, definatley try the remedies out at home before your cruise to see how she reacts to the medications and if she has any side-effects.
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Beginner

We are also sailing on November 12 and our 9 year old is somewhat prone to motion sickness. I have purchased the sea band anti-nausea wristbands to try on him this time. On our last cruise a year ago, he only seemed to feel ill if we spent too long in the cabin before getting breakfast. I did not want to give him regular Dramamine because I was concerned about the drowsiness, especially since he was so eager to go to the children's program. We were told by the medical personnel that it would be okay for him to take the SeaCalm that was offered at the purser's desk. It is the same formulation as the Dramamine Non-Drowsy. While the Dramamine ND does not have dosage instructions for a child, at 100 pounds, your daughter weighs the same as many adults. To be safe, ask your doctor if this is safe for her and what the appropriate dosage would be. It worked really well for my son and I am certainly going to be taking it along again this time, in the event that the seabands don't work.
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Beginner

Thank you very much for your post. I will get the seabands and also the Dramamine ND. Our son is 9, too! Are you sailing NCL this Sunday? Was your last cruise NCL? I was concerned about the kids club. This is the first time we are taking the kids on a cruise, my husband and I have always gone alone. Thanks again.
Lisa