Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Default Getting conflicting info

I read some threads here today and I'm concerned about not having a letter from my daughter's father. She is 12 and has been on 2 cruises already with my husband (her stepfather) and myself and we've never had an issue regarding documentation for custody.

Now, 6 days before our cruise, I read on these boards that I need a letter from her bio father giving permission for me to take her on the cruise. Getting it from him can be tricky, as he is tough to get in touch with, lives in another state and would need to overnight the letter to us somehow. I'm not sure we need one because:

1. She doesn't have his last name on her passport- it is my married name, which is also on my passport as well.
2. I wasn't married to her father so there is no divorce documentation
3. She's been on two cruises before and no one has asked about anything like this before.
4. Even if I did have a letter from him, how would I prove that the letter is from her father? She doesn't have his name, so I could pick any guy and have him claim to be her dad for this purpose and it wouldn't make a difference to the person checking her in, so what's the poin? We aren't bringing her birth certificate because we are using her passport as her ID.

Can someone give me insight here? Her dad is incredibly lazy and hard to motivate to do anything that won't benefit him directly, so even if I call him and beg him to do this, it would likely take a few days and may not show up in my mailbox til we leave anyway.

Also, I called RC three times this morning for various questions and each time I asked just to make sure we were going to be okay. The first person I talked to said we don't need it, the second person said I do need the letter but when I explained further that she has my maiden name and not her fathers last name, she changed her mind and said that I dont' need it, and then a third person said as long as I'm using her passport and not her bc then we will be okay.

So, should I jump through hoops to get him to overnight this to me or let it go since I've had three RC staffers tell me not to bother with it?
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM

We just went through the same thing. We took my daughter whom is part of a joint custody agreement, I had her dad do me a letter just in case. I have two boys that I have full custody of, dad has no legal visitation and he is all over the place too. I mean geeze how do they even know who signs the stupid letters as notaries will sign anything if you know them right. ... anyway, I went on faith and with my one letter and they never even looked at or asked for it and we were going to mexico. We've never had them ask before either and this was our 3rd cruise. Basically I stepped up to the embarkation window with my paperwork, they called each one by name, I handed them a birth certificate when asked and that was it, for my daughter she had a passport and drivers license but that was all they asked for. I have one name, my daughter has a different name and my two sons have a different name as well and they never asked so I doubt you'll need it but if you can get one and have it if needed then do that, but don't offer it up wait and see if they ask you.
Carnival "Glory" November 2006
Carnival "Fantasy" July 2003
Royal Caribbean "Monarch" June 2002