Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kmkline
Default cruising with 12 people/first time cruisers

We have a large family and we are looking to take a cruise in the next year and was looking for some help. Our childrens ages are 21,18,16,12,10,2,1 We are also looking to take my sitter who has twin boys who are 15
Any suggestions on which cruise would be best with such a large family. I would like to cruise out of New York Or New Jersey so we won't have to fly to the port (that is another major expense) Caribbean/bahamas
Any cruise lines that are cheaper?
Children oriented?
Do I need to worry about my children being out of my sight on the boat?
What would you suggest for a cabin? (some of my kids get motion sick as well as myself)
There seems to be so many things to consider.
any suggestions would be a big help

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda

Wow, first of all, you should enlist the help of a travel agent with that size group, they may be able to get you a group discount. You will want several rooms, and may want to look for a cruise line that has adjoining rooms. We are a family of 5, kids are 11, 16 and 18, and we get two rooms, you will want the space and the extra bathrooms.

I think Royal Caribbean and Celebrity both sail from New Jersey, and we have sailed Royal Caribbean before, our children had a fantastic time. The kids programs are top notch. Make sure the children *age 8 and up, go to the meet and greet the first night and the activities the next day, they will meet many their age to hang out with for the remainder of the cruise. Your 18 and 21 yr old, will both be a old enough to drink and gamble on board, so make sure you set limits...monetarily if nothing else, as everything is a cashless system and they might not keep track as they should of what they are spending.

Enjoy!
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kmkline

Thank you so much for the info
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to c_m_alex

Since you have one and two year olds in your group, I recommend Royal Caribbean. YOu can hire an in cabin sitter for those one years and older (youth program is for kids 3 years and potty trained). Also, they have Aqua babies programming daily (45 min. sessions -- parents or caregiver must attend) which is sponsored by Fisher Price.

Or you may want to considerCarnival. The line has group babysitting from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. and also mornings on port days for little ones. Otherwise kids must be 2 years old (do not have to be potty trained) to participate in Camp Carnival youth program.

Let me know what you choose!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor