Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Default Traveling with Toddler, Camp Carnival on the Pride to Mexico

We will be traveling on the Carnival Pride at the end of April to Mexico. My 2 year old daughter is not yet potty trained, but we are trying. I have SEVERAL questions.
1. There will be 4 adults/1 child. All four adults are willing to drop/pu my daughter. If all four adults attend the orientation and fill out paperwork, call all pick her up?
2. I would like to leave her on the ship. Call it paranoid, but she is a beautiful, blonde, blue-eyed, cherished child. What time is Camp Carnival available in port?
3. Is there a fridge in an inside passage stateroom?
4. Will the counselors participate in potty training?
5. I know that a beeper will be provided, but can the family rent walkie/talkies?
6. We are picking up every night for dinner, does Camp Carnival provide lunch?

Thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to c_m_alex

Good thing you chose Carnival since it's one of the few lines in which they accept kids 2 years and older and counselors also change diapers. You have to provide them w/wipes and diapers. So there should be less pressure on the potty training front.

Usually you specify when you register your child for the kids' program as to who can pick her up. The youth programs usually are timed on port days to start 1/2 hour prior to when excursions start leaving. On sea days, they usually start at 9 a.m.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Admiral

1. There will be 4 adults/1 child. All four adults are willing to drop/pu my daughter. If all four adults attend the orientation and fill out paperwork, call all pick her up?

The only way all four of you can pick up your dd is if all four of you come to camp and sign her in each and every day. Its best to have a plan ahead of time. It doesn't matter whose names are on the orientation paperwork, if they didn't sign her in, they can't sign her out. Trust me, I know this to be a fact. Once I went to pick up our kids and they wouldn't let me because d/h signed them in. So from then on, we both signed them in.

2. I would like to leave her on the ship. Call it paranoid, but she is a beautiful, blonde, blue-eyed, cherished child. What time is Camp Carnival available in port?
If I recall correctly it is a half hour before the first tender/excursion

3. Is there a fridge in an inside passage stateroom?
Not Usually, but you may bring a colapsible cooler. your steward will keep it filled. Also know you can order milk and snacks from room service anytime. We bring a insulated squirt top water bottle fill it with ice and juice to give the kids at bedtime...works well for us.

4. Will the counselors participate in potty training?
My experiences have been that it totally depends on your child. If your child will tell them they have to go, they'll get them to the potty. If not, they'll change their pants. Honestly, we gave dd the week off and sent her in pull-ups, most of the time she came back dry, but its kind of hard when the kiddo is out of her normal routine. You never know she may just surprise you and go potty on her own but I wouldn't count on the kids crew staff to do much in the way of potty training aside from kind of following your daughter's lead in this area.

5. I know that a beeper will be provided, but can the family rent walkie/talkies?
I believe that they do rent walkie talkies on board, however for what you would pay to rent them, you can buy a much better pair with a longer range from Walmart or Radio Shack and have them to use again. They're great for any travel like Disney or two vehicle road trips. You may leave a walkie Talkie with the counselors to reach you. Be certain to label them with your childs name. Also, you probably know this but thought I'd mention the pagers do not work off the ship. We'd always leave the pager in our cabin and when we'd return it was the first thing we'd check then we'd know if we needed to check in at camp right away

6. We are picking up every night for dinner, does Camp Carnival provide lunch?
On port days they will ensure your dd eats lunch, However on sea days Camp is usually closed from 12 noon til 2 p.m. and then from about 4:45 - 7:00 p.m.
They do a very nice job and I am sure your dd is in very good hands. If she's at all like my kids, it will be tough to drag her away from Camp when its time to go. I hope you all have a great time.[/u][/i][/b]
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just speaking for myself here, but I've sailed with my two little ones (now 6 & 7, both blonde-beautiful-blue eyed) twice - third cruise scheduled for March '07 on the Carnival Liberty.

I would NOT feel comfortable going into a foreign port and leaving my small child on board a cruise ship. What if something happens and the ship leaves without me - taking my kids with them? Just me, but I wouldn't do it. I realize that is not the question you asked, but I felt I had to share my thoughts.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yeoman

Youth counselors do not go into the bathrooms w/kids for security / lawsuits reasons. That said, on CCL they'll either change a diaper or point to the bathroom for your child to deal with on their own. Luckily, CCL does change diapers for those 2 and over.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Beginner

Beenie Weenie you are the bomb!!! Thanks for the answers.