Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to egarritano
Default Won free cruise - have a 5 week old baby- should we go?

My husband won a free, all expenses paid cruise for a week on Royal Carribean through his employer. We would have a room with a balcony. I wouldn't be worried about it being a "real" vacation for us; I wouldn't expect to do much more than enjoy prepared meals, the view, and some sun. It seems like it could be a relaxing way to allow my husband and I to bond further with our new baby without the daily grind, other than the standard 24/7 care for the baby, which we would have at home anyway. OR it could be an absolute nightmare of nerves and inconvenience! And I'm worried about disturbing other cruisers if the baby is crying at all hours. This is our first child.

Thank you for your input! Is this really even a question, or are we wishful thinking?! Leaving the baby at home is NOT an option I would consider.
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Congratulations!!! I wish I could "win" a cruise. How long does he have to use it? Maybe wait a few months till the baby is older. Be aware that some cruiselines have a minimum travel age requirement for infants and definately for their services such as baby sitting. You can do a google search on the subject. I hope it will be as relaxing as you think/want it to be.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

This is the trouble - we can only go on the specific dates that the group will be going - and the baby will only be 5 weeks old. Royal Carribean allows infants from newborn onto the ship. I'm just wondering how common it is and whether or not it's a good idea. We will of course be talking with his pediatrician group on Monday to get their input, but I have a feeling this is going to be subjective, and appreciate the perspective of experienced cruisers!
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yeoman

I'm all for bringing babies on cruises. I would just double check about no minimum age since many do have a minimum of about 6 months.

I brought my son when he was 7 months old and it went very well -- no regrets. My only concern in your case is that a five week old is well, a five week old! Since it's your first child and he/she will be so new, I'm wondering if you'll feel comfortable dealing with all the luggage you have to take when cruising w/a baby -- diapers, bottles (if not nursing), wipes, etc. While my kids started cruising/flying while infants, I do feel that five weeks is young to expose them to the germs that tend to fly around planes. Or perhaps you're driving and not flying?

So it's not an easy answer. You sure there's no wiggle room in going at a later date when the baby is a few months old and you're more used to her/his routine?

Let me know what you decide.
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

As much as you want and probably need this cruise, I strongly suggest you not take a child that young on a ship full of people from all over, as you know Norwalk virus is rampant all over the country and has hit several cruise ships in the past weeks. that is one illness that could kill a child that young.
Just way too much risk for that young a baby.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kmkline

I have to agree. I am a nurse and I see little ones in the hospital fighting off all sorts of illness' that you or I could handle without a problem. I am also a mom of 5 kids. Out of my 5 children 3 of them were very good babies...2 not so good. At 5 weeks old you are still getting to know each other and trying to set your routine.
I can't give you advice on the cruise (I am still planning ours and wanted to wait until my little one is potty trained)
If you do go please let us know how it goes
Good luck to you and congrats
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for your feedback! I really appreciate your advice. My husband and I decided not to go. As a couple of you mentioned, we've realized that a 5 week old baby is just too young and we could be putting his health at risk, not to mention the possibility of it being overwhelming for us as brand new parents.

There are more important things in life than getting a free cruise and if we're lucky, there will be another opportunity when the timing is better!

Thanks again for your advice!
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Good decision. Hope you were able to trade/sell the cruise off. Age 1 is better. Health risk is a critical factor. Also, with younger kiddos stick to the islands and away from Central and South America where there can be bugs brought in by mosquito. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egarritano
Thank you all for your feedback! I really appreciate your advice. My husband and I decided not to go. As a couple of you mentioned, we've realized that a 5 week old baby is just too young and we could be putting his health at risk, not to mention the possibility of it being overwhelming for us as brand new parents.

There are more important things in life than getting a free cruise and if we're lucky, there will be another opportunity when the timing is better!

Thanks again for your advice!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

I agree -- good decision. I'm all for taking the littles ones and going, but five weeks is still a very tender age and you'll just be getting used to being parents. I started my son at 7 months and he's been cruising ever since!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Made the mistake of taking mine at 12 months - 10 cruises and 11 years later the kiddo still isn't satisfied that he has cruised enough. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgaynor
I agree -- good decision. I'm all for taking the littles ones and going, but five weeks is still a very tender age and you'll just be getting used to being parents. I started my son at 7 months and he's been cruising ever since!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Check with Royal Caribbean about minimum age limits first. Dont' worry about the crying, we sailed with our 16 mo old and she cried some nights. Neighbour didn't hear her. Plus keep in mind that most cruise lines don't have tubs in the rooms, unless you get a suite.
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Beginner

My husband and I are going on our 3rd cruise, although this will be our daughter's first time and she is 4. From past experience, I have seen cruisers with small babies, although they were a few months older. It would also depend on your child's temperament. For example can you nurse or give a bottle at any hour of the day including late at night to get them back to sleep or happy, walls can be thin at times. I remember with my daughter that life went at a slower pace, so if you go I would just lounge, take it easy, relax and mostly stay on the ship. Also, I was a major germ a phobe with my daughter, if you go- I would take lots and lots of hand sanitizer and wipies and wipe down tables, bathroom etc. I'm the adventerous/crazy type and love to travel, we went on a 12 hour road trip to Texas when our daughter was 7 weeks old. She did very well, I relaxed a lot, slept a lot and if I was nursing her she was happy. Good Luck! Life does get easier the older they get.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Familiar Face

Aside from the health risks, personally I would have a hard time enjoying a cruise with a young baby along.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Just an FYI - Carnival has recently announced that infants need to be 6 months old to cruise in the Caribbean and Mexican Riveria and Canada/NE and Alaska.......................and a year old to go to Europe or Hawaii.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...cy_policy.aspx
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark
As much as you want and probably need this cruise, I strongly suggest you not take a child that young on a ship full of people from all over, as you know Norwalk virus is rampant all over the country and has hit several cruise ships in the past weeks. that is one illness that could kill a child that young.
Just way too much risk for that young a baby.
This was my thoughts as well. There are so many germs on cruises. You are away from the baby's doctor and if he/she should become ill, the medical care might not be fit for a 5 week old. Let's say the baby got the norwalk & was throwing up & got to the point of needing an IV. Chances are the cruise line would not have an IV needle small enough for a 5 week old. It is hard for a regular hospital to give a 5 week old an IV (vs children's hospitals).