CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Anyone cruised with a 22 Month old? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/327322-anyone-cruised-22-month-old.html)

KyleesMom February 3rd, 2007 01:21 PM

Anyone cruised with a 22 Month old?

Hey yall!! We are thinking about taking a 5 day mexican cruise with our daughter ( will be 22 months at cruise time) and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what there is to do for a child that does not meet the age limit for carnival? ( I am pregnant and I do not want to chance crusing that late in my pregnacy once she turns 2). She is very active and loves to GO. Has anyone done the 10pm to 3am babysitting?
Any suggestions or words of encouragement from someone that has been there would be GREAT! We would really like to have a family vacation before the new baby gets here but i want it to be fun for all of us.
Thanks
Tiffany

lfgaynor February 6th, 2007 05:38 PM

I assume you're looking into Carnival, when you refer to the 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. group babysitting? You have to decide whether your daughter would already be asleep at 10 p.m. (mine were at that age) and if so, whether you'd want to transfer her there at that hour.

Alternatively, Royal Carib. offers private, in cabin babysitting at all hours for an hourly fee. Also, they have Aqua Tots programming daily -- it's a 45 min. session w/a caregiver (your or your spouse) and features Fischer Price toys.

I think you'd be happy with either. Make sure you read "bringing the baby" and "what's there to do at sea w/kids under three" -- I wrote these articles and they're listed on the home page of the family cruise section.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

Mermaid February 18th, 2007 05:55 PM

I recently shared a cabin with my daugher and 22 month old granddaughter on an 11 night cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent together, and had a great time, although the things we did and schedule we kept were different than cruising with all adults. For starters, we ate dinner early, utilized room service more often, and ate breakfast in the dining room instead of grabbing it at the buffet. Reason for early dinner of course is obvious, room service was just more convenient when you just wanted to relax and eat, and having breakfast brought to you in the dining room, rather than fetching a high chair and food in the buffet, was easier. The crew doted on her, especially those that had children of their own, and were do doubt homesick for them.

We devoted a cabinet to her toys, one she could safely open and close by herself, and brought along a few new things. Although a simple roll of blue tape kept her occupied for 30 minutes while we readied for formal night dinner. And no, we didn't use the tape to contain her, but rather gave her small pieces to "stick" on herself and various things. The tape, of course was easy to remove and left no residue.

My daughter and I took turns taking her to the children's club to let her play and run around (an adult needed to be present with child under three). I enjoyed watching her play in the "Little Gym" type envirnoment as much as I enjoyed a show or having a drink in a lounge. We sometimes took her to the early show, or took turns going to the show (one of us would go to the early and one to the late show). Our activities in port had to be geared to something appropriate for her age.

She was more content to sit in her stroller for longer periods of time than normal, both on the ship and in port, since she too was experiencing new sights and sounds. My daugher thought it was little more difficult to cruise with her at 22 months than it was when she was 11 months and not walking yet. But still worth it all the same.

If you're looking for a little "me" time or "couple time" before the new baby is born, consider taking along a grandmother that would love the opportunity to spoil, I mean share quality time with your 22 month old, along on the cruise!

Canadianmommyof2 February 18th, 2007 07:22 PM

I just wanted to share some info that we got as we are travelling with our 20 month old son who is not potty trained. They will not allow them in the pool if they are not potty trained, some have suggested to bring a inflatable pool to fill for our little one so that we can all enjoy the pools. Just letting you know. :wink:

Divemaster February 23rd, 2007 10:20 PM

Inflatable pool is not a bad idea also a kiddie jail (portable nylon playpen). Used in cabin sitting sparsely when my guy was 12 mos (wife of a crew member). The kiddo remembers things to this day from that cruise, so it is not a waste for the kiddos to be aboard. Now as to carrying one aboard on an inside passage :wink: - you might check seabands for naseau.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadianmommyof2
I just wanted to share some info that we got as we are travelling with our 20 month old son who is not potty trained. They will not allow them in the pool if they are not potty trained, some have suggested to bring a inflatable pool to fill for our little one so that we can all enjoy the pools. Just letting you know. :wink:

16mo cruiser February 28th, 2007 12:35 PM

We traveled back in Dec with our 16 mo old daughter. we went with Princess. She had a great time, lots of space to run, as long as you can chase after. We took her to the play area, couldn't leave her, but she had fun playing with the toys. Wa under the impression that she couldn't go into the pools. as she isnt' potty trained, but saw other small children in pools and took her in anyways, with a swim diaper of course. Most cruise lines don't have tubs to bathe children, unless you get a suite, keep that in mind. We bathed her while one of us were taking a shower, sometimes difficult but can be done. Another problem was the stroller. We took our Graco stroller, fairly big. Doesn't fit through cabin doorways, unless you collapse it, plus can't pass the cabin stewards cleaning carts in the hallways without moving the carts. recommend umbrella stroller.

lfgaynor March 1st, 2007 10:36 AM

Great practical advice!

Nikkita77 August 23rd, 2007 01:01 AM

my son was turning 2 in september when we went. he was big enough so i fudged on his age we cruise 9 /14 to 9 / 21 his bd was 9/ 28. im not suggesting but at 22 months that's close change the bd