Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Passenger

Default Stroller Advice

I have read a few posts on strollers and have a question.......

I plan on bringing our big stroller to navigate the airport and for sightseeing off the ship. It is much more comfortable than an umbrella stroller and can hold lots of junk.

I also thought that I'd bring a small umbrella stroller to use around the ship.

Does this sound reasonable? I was planning on storing the strollers under my bed when not in use. As my big suitcase fits under the cabin bed, I figured a larger stroller would as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks.....
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Honestly I guess it would depend on the age of the child. But it sounds like a lot of stuff to lug around. I found that an umbrella stroller was perfect for our purposes. It probably would have been more comfortable if I had found a reclining umbrella stroller, but truthfully the kids slept fine in the cheapo umbrella stroller. They also make them with sunshades too. If you can handle a small child, a big stroller, a small stroller, diaper bag, purse and all your luggage through the airport, hotel, port etc... go for it, but I always found with the big equipment and travel, less is more. An umbrella stroller is great on the ship as it navigates very easily through halls and tight spaces.
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Admiral

It would be nice to have TWO different strollers, depending on the activity and the age of the child. However you will have to judge if the advantage of lugging along two strollers with all the other baby "stuff" is worth it. I do think that a collapsed big stroller would fit under a bed.

I've cruised a couple of times with my granddaugher at 11 months and 22 months, and an umbrella stroller worked out just fine. I would strongly suggest that you get one with a storage basket of some kind and a sunshade. It would be difficult to handle a big stroller while tendering, getting on/off tour bus or in and out of taxis quickly, etc. You may be willing to take the extra time to handle it, but you have to keep in mind the other passengers waiting behind you might not be so understanding.

Good question!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Passenger

I highly recommend the Inglesina "Zippy" stroller - it is an umbrella stroller but has a HUGE sunshade, fully reclines, basket underneath, etc. Also folds very compactly with one hand. So you get the benefits of a full size stroller in an umbrella stroller. But it is pricey.
We usually would bring this as well as the hiking style baby backpack which my husband would carry - we actually used this much more than the stroller.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Corey wow! That is a nice stroller. You were right though it is quite pricey...eek! However, I checked them out on Ebay and there were some there for under $100. Nice idea!
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Yeoman

You won't be able to fit a stroller under the beds -- you can barely fit luggage under there. So instead you'll have to close both strollers up and probably store them near the door, which is a tight area anyway. I strongly suggest just taking one comfortable umbrella strolller.

Best,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Passenger

We have a Graco Mosaic which worked out great on the Golden Princess. It is narrow enough to navigate the narrow hallways and doorways of the ship, but large enough to have the amenities that are nice for travel. It lays back, has a sunshade, a small cargo area, and a cup holder for parents. And, it folds up nice and small to be out of the way (under the bed or in the closet) when not needed. Can't comment on the price since it was a baby shower gift.
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Beginner

Hello guys.I find your discussion very interesting .I want to share some useful information regarding my new pushchair.When I have been to Trinidad by cruise I used Pocco Pushchair.I like it very much because it is very easy to handle and carry.And it easily fits through all the doorways and side walks.If any of you guys are interested then visit the link given below.
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

Thanks to everyone for their input. It's really helpful to first time cruisin' parents!

smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to AKLydia

I brought strollers but honestly they were more difficult to use than was worth it (plus they took up so much room). For the airport they were probably worth it if you're travelling alone, I didn't have my husband and had 2 kiddos. The days we took them into port the stroller wouldn't fit into any stores so it was pretty much useless.
I'd just carry mine next time or use a carrier of some sort honestly.
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Captain

On our upcoming cruise we'll have an infant with us once again. This time though we're leaving the stroller home in favor of a good quality hiking carrier with sunshade. No more issues with trying to cram the stroller into the cabin or trying to navigate a too narrow gangway and no more worries about clipping the heals of people too ignorant not to cut you off. We may regret this but we're going to give it a whirl nonetheless. We've tried it with strollers but....
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Familiar Face

We bought a small Cosco Juvenile stroller from Target just for the cruise. Cost about $35. It was a life saver! We were traveling with a 6 month old. It folds up very small, similar to an umbrella stroller. It has a basket underneath hold all the junk and a mesh basket with cup holder near the handles. The cup holder actually worked well. Also has a tray for the baby. It was very easy to maneuver on the ships. I would NOT recommend it for sand, though! We tried it and it worked but it was difficult. My only complaint about the stroller was that the handle was a little low. Otherwise, it was perfect, and certainly worth the money.
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Yeoman

Tnx everyone for their good advice!

My stroller days are over (hooray!) -- but I always found them handy when on the road. Smaller is better at sea.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor