Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to toad
Default Teens dress for formal dining.

This topic seems to be discussed quite a lot, but I do have a specific question. I have two 13yr old boys that will be cruising with us on the RCCL Rhapsody 4/1/2007. They are highly opposed to bringing along any clothes that might be considered formal. But, they are also huge fans of lobster. So am I right to believe that if they want to partake in the lobster dinner night, the will need to eat with us in the main dining room and chances are that night will be formal? If so, what is a good average dress code for them? Another question, if all four kids plan to not eat with us a majority of the time, how do we request seating knowing we may have them all for a total of 6 people on a couple of nights in the main dining room and other night just 2-3 of us?
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your intuition regarding the lobster night is likely to be correct and will coincide with formal night. My own son has been going on cruises since he was 6 and I have had him wear a coat and tie on formal nights. He is now 12 and the struggles around formal night have largely subsided.

An added benefit is the ability to get a nice family portrait at the same time. As I just posted to another area, we have a great sequence of pictures with the family.

I would have them adhere to the dress code if at all possible. It's just another part of growing up...
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

The response re dress code is correct.

Request a table for the six of you since you can leave empty seats when necessary but you can't squeeze more into a table for two!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Passenger

We have 4 kids - 3 teens- and on our last cruise I specified that the kids had to eat dinner with us. That way I was sure to see them at least once during the day!!! Also, my older sons (16,16) wear their school blazer, a tie, and dress shoes on formal night. About 10 minutes after dinner they are off w/their friends in shorts and t-shirts. I would tell you not to go and buy suit coats if you don't have them. A lot of young men/boys just wore dress shirts and ties.