Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Passenger

Default Carseat needed in Mexico??

We are sailing in April to Mexico on our first cruise and taking our 18 month old. We are not planning on doing much in the way of excursions, but want to be prepared for all possibilities. Should we bring DD's carseat with us on the cruise for possible shore use?
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Yeoman

Chances are, taxis and motorcoaches that you'd travel around by land won't have seat belts to strap in the car seat. We always brought one though when our son was young for getting to and from the airport/home and airport/ship as well as on the plane. If you're driving to the port, then I'd say keep the car seat in your parked car during your cruise. If you're flying, I say bring the car seat.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Passenger

I agree with Lisa's above post. We just returned from Cozumel and Costa Maya with our 15 mo old. We used our car seat to drive to the airport and then we rented a car to drive to the port and needed it then.
We took taxi's in Mexico and had no problem just holding our daughter on our lap. I don't believe they have car seat laws in Mexico It seemed odd to just hold her, since you become so accostomed to strapping them into the seat back home.
We purchased a car seat bag online at Amazon for $20 and just checked it. I highly recommed the bag, as it protects the seat. I have seen too many seats at the baggage claim that look like they have been
damaged. once we we got onboard I just put the seat in the closet. I have also heard that you can ask your cabin steward to put in storage for you.
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Just a thought...In Cozumel they do have car rentals available. Since Cozumel is a relatively small island, it has one main road circling it and so finding your way around is very simple, plus it is a very safe area as well. It is possible to do a lot safely with a baby. You can also rent a car seat with your rental car, or bring your own. They will also give you a great map of the island and driving directions to anywhere you want to go. We love to go to an ecological park called Punta Sur. It is about a 25-30 minute drive from the port and has beautiful white beaches. It has a few mayan ruins, a lighthouse, and a crocodile reserve, where you can view them from a close but safe distance. The beach is nice, they have a snack bar, a snorkel equipment rental area, lounges, and a shaded area with tables and chairs. There are lots of other things to see and do too in Cozumel. This is what we did with our kiddos and it was a great time for all.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Has anyone had any experience with the cabs in Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo - do they have seat belts. We would feel safer if we did use our carseat...but wouldn't be of any help if they don't have seatbelts!
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Yeoman

I was just in Florida and was surprised at how many taxis there didn't have seat belts that work. That said, you may luck out and get a car with seat belts in Mexico but I wouldn't count on it! Ridiculous, isn't it?!?

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor