Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska in July, Spirit or Radiance??

Our family is going on a Carnival Spirit cruise to Alaska on July 4th. I have read reviews that the food is bad and there are not a lot of kids on the cruise (We have a 3 and 8 year old). Please tell me it isn't so?? Is the RCC Radiance significantly better than the Spirit???? Also, would the White Pass Railway be too long or boring for a 3 and 8year old in Skagway?
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think you should be just fine on the Spirit, though Radiance is a beautiful ship. The food on Carnival and RCI is very comparable in my experience. Neither is going to knock your socks off, but nothing horrid either.

If my kids were that young, honestly, I wouldn't take them on the White Pass Rail Tour. There's some beautiful scenery, but for little ones it likely will feel long and boring.

As an alternative you could rent a vehicle and drive White Pass. That would allow you to stop and move about to break it up for them.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yeoman

Carnival always has kids on board and I think the food's better than Royal CArib. Agree that White Pass will be too long for your 3 year old -- try something a bit more active.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:58 AM
First Mate

We sailed the Spirit 2 yrs ago in July and enjoyed every minute!

Our kids were 3 and 5 then and we rode the train. Our son is a train lover to the extreme and our daughter did very well on the trip. Ohh and Ahhd over the things she saw just like we did

The cruise had TONS of kids since it was summer vacation and our two made friends quickly. We had to beg them to leave camp and spend time with us they enjoyed it so much.

We have always said we would do that cruise on the Spirit again, hands down. Most likely will soon too!!!!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean