Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Beginner

Default Taking kids out of cruise for a good deal?

We are thinking of going on a cruise next year with my 12,15y daughters. I don't mind taking the kids out of school if I find a good deal. When is a good time to go and what cruise line?
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Admiral

I've found some great prices during the first and second week of December. My favorite cruiseline is RCCL...but, I would check out all the lines for the best deals.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Yeoman

When my daughter was young, I tool her out of school for cruises. Now that she's in middle school (and studying tough subjects like algebra), however, I don't take her out anymore. I think it'd be too stressful for her to try to catch up once she gets back to school.

Yes, the best deals are early December as well as September through mid-November.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Taking kids out of cruise for a good deal?

Anytime is a great time to ditch school for a cruise! Unfortunately, the "he/she was out seasick" excuse doesn't work with the hookey cops anymore. Gets harder as they get older with more activities and harder subjects. Alaska is good for the summer, the christmas holiday and spring break cruises are also good, but the lines raise prices then. Try for a short HAL 3-4 day trip out to Half Moon Cay in '08, or a 3-4 day Bahamas cruise or RCCI 3-4 day cruise to Cozumel. Else, look for a maximum 7 day cruise, scanning VTG for a week with a known local school district teacher development day, MLK Holiday, Fiesta Holiday, or other local school district holiday off that the cruise lines don't count on when raising fares. 8) Minimizes days out of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simstar
We are thinking of going on a cruise next year with my 12,15y daughters. I don't mind taking the kids out of school if I find a good deal. When is a good time to go and what cruise line?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
First Mate

Do you want warm weather with your cheap cruise? I cruised the end of january and we had quite a bit rainy cool weather (carribean). A friend of mine cruised the panama canal in december and she said it was quite cool. When do your kids start school? August you can get some good deals due to "Hurricane season" and the weather is very hot in the carribean during this time. When does school end? the last couple weeks of may you can sometimes get good deals...especialy alaska.

Or you could plan it around holidays as mentioned. Do you get a fall break? Just add on a couple of days...october is cheap to cruise. We were looking at disney, wow! Dirt cheap for a 7day disney in october! (compared to a 7day disney during spring break or summer that is).

But to tell you the cheapest time to cruise, from the searching I've done, it most likely would be Sept and Oct to the carribean. (but you are risking
your cruise to be cancelled or shortened or rerouted). Just about all of the cruiselines drop thier prices big time during this time. The cheapest probably being carnival.

We have done our big cruises during my daughter's spring break, and use our NCL credit card points to pay for part of the $big price tag so it's not too painful!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Kimbo is right on the Hurricane season through October being a discount time. Best advice during that time is book inside, lower, mid ship for a stable position if the ship has to increase speed by pulling in the stabalizers to avoid weather. Also, rerouting can happen and don't count on clear water for snorkeling or visiting islands requiring tenders (like HAL's Half Moon Cay). That said there are always alternative things to do in port and the kids might enjoy seeing the drama of a ship trying to raise and lock tenders in high wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo
Do you want warm weather with your cheap cruise? I cruised the end of january and we had quite a bit rainy cool weather (carribean). A friend of mine cruised the panama canal in december and she said it was quite cool. When do your kids start school? August you can get some good deals due to "Hurricane season" and the weather is very hot in the carribean during this time. When does school end? the last couple weeks of may you can sometimes get good deals...especialy alaska.

Or you could plan it around holidays as mentioned. Do you get a fall break? Just add on a couple of days...october is cheap to cruise. We were looking at disney, wow! Dirt cheap for a 7day disney in october! (compared to a 7day disney during spring break or summer that is).

But to tell you the cheapest time to cruise, from the searching I've done, it most likely would be Sept and Oct to the carribean. (but you are risking
your cruise to be cancelled or shortened or rerouted). Just about all of the cruiselines drop thier prices big time during this time. The cheapest probably being carnival.

We have done our big cruises during my daughter's spring break, and use our NCL credit card points to pay for part of the $big price tag so it's not too painful!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
First Mate

hey divemaster, of all the HAL ships you've been on, which would you say is the most kid friendly? for like a 5yr old?
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

We've been on the Zuiderdam with kids and liked it -- very UN-traditional HAL with fun bright colors and cool chairs in public rooms (resembling cow ski patterns, etc)!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM
First Mate

thanks Luisa!